Skip to main content

Bricks and Birthdays

Last Sunday, G and I headed off to the Minneapolis Brick Convention to see everything LEGOs! Ever since I bought the tickets, months ago, he couldn't wait to check it out. I was so happy that it was held at a location not too far from home, because it was snowing as we were driving there. Overall, it was a pretty neat experience. There were some amazing brick creations, and of course there was an opportunity to buy LEGO pieces! G has been on a 1980's spaceman kick, so he ended up getting Benny, the blue spaceman (from The LEGO movie), as well as Jenny, the white space(wo)man, as well. Once he had those two new pieces in hand, he was able to focus more on all of the cool builds they had displayed in the convention.






It was pretty crowded, so after we were done, I was quite happy to get out of the building into a quiet car. More and more, I'm hitting my limit of "peopling" at an earlier point during each crowded event I go to. But, I did it for G, and he loved it! (I was supposed to head to book club that night, but due to the weather, everyone wanted to stay in and just take it easy...so we did! The couch was the perfect place to be that night.)

I also had the pleasure of chaperoning G's field trip to the Minnesota History Center on Thursday. I had a great group of third graders that I basically followed around and made sure that they didn't get lost as we went from exhibit to exhibit. That was also a very fun experience, but oh my goodness, it wiped me out. (It might not have helped that I stayed out late with a friend the night before.) We were all feeling a bit exhausted by the end of the day, so I made the executive decision to skip taekwondo. We were all very happy with that choice.

Heading back to school on the very loud bus, ha!

We had a few other events that were supposed to happen last week, that for one reason or another didn't...and we took advantage of that free time. Ava and I were going to go to a college prep course on Tuesday night, but she begged me not to go (I think there were some hormones at work there), so I relented and said we'd go next year instead (I also confirmed with friends who have kids one year older that it's more appropriate to go as sophomores.)  I also had to work on Tuesday night - and luckily, that went as planned, hooray! And on Thursday night (after the taekwondo that we didn't go to), we were supposed to go to a stargazing event on the Red Pine field...but the weather was rainy and cloudy, so it was cancelled. Thank goodness, because I really don't think we could have pulled it together to go, especially after the field trip that day!

And Friday was my birthday! The kids didn't have school, and I took the day off of work, so we got breakfast together, and then ran errands during the afternoon. That night, Scott, me, and the kids headed to my parent's house for dinner, cake, and ice cream...and it was lovely! It was so nice to be celebrated by my people.



Scott and I are headed out to a nice dinner tonight, and then tomorrow, we'll be at home. It's been a super busy week, and more than ever, all of us like to have downtime to recharge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh