Skip to main content

Bricks and Birthdays

Last Sunday, G and I headed off to the Minneapolis Brick Convention to see everything LEGOs! Ever since I bought the tickets, months ago, he couldn't wait to check it out. I was so happy that it was held at a location not too far from home, because it was snowing as we were driving there. Overall, it was a pretty neat experience. There were some amazing brick creations, and of course there was an opportunity to buy LEGO pieces! G has been on a 1980's spaceman kick, so he ended up getting Benny, the blue spaceman (from The LEGO movie), as well as Jenny, the white space(wo)man, as well. Once he had those two new pieces in hand, he was able to focus more on all of the cool builds they had displayed in the convention.






It was pretty crowded, so after we were done, I was quite happy to get out of the building into a quiet car. More and more, I'm hitting my limit of "peopling" at an earlier point during each crowded event I go to. But, I did it for G, and he loved it! (I was supposed to head to book club that night, but due to the weather, everyone wanted to stay in and just take it easy...so we did! The couch was the perfect place to be that night.)

I also had the pleasure of chaperoning G's field trip to the Minnesota History Center on Thursday. I had a great group of third graders that I basically followed around and made sure that they didn't get lost as we went from exhibit to exhibit. That was also a very fun experience, but oh my goodness, it wiped me out. (It might not have helped that I stayed out late with a friend the night before.) We were all feeling a bit exhausted by the end of the day, so I made the executive decision to skip taekwondo. We were all very happy with that choice.

Heading back to school on the very loud bus, ha!

We had a few other events that were supposed to happen last week, that for one reason or another didn't...and we took advantage of that free time. Ava and I were going to go to a college prep course on Tuesday night, but she begged me not to go (I think there were some hormones at work there), so I relented and said we'd go next year instead (I also confirmed with friends who have kids one year older that it's more appropriate to go as sophomores.)  I also had to work on Tuesday night - and luckily, that went as planned, hooray! And on Thursday night (after the taekwondo that we didn't go to), we were supposed to go to a stargazing event on the Red Pine field...but the weather was rainy and cloudy, so it was cancelled. Thank goodness, because I really don't think we could have pulled it together to go, especially after the field trip that day!

And Friday was my birthday! The kids didn't have school, and I took the day off of work, so we got breakfast together, and then ran errands during the afternoon. That night, Scott, me, and the kids headed to my parent's house for dinner, cake, and ice cream...and it was lovely! It was so nice to be celebrated by my people.



Scott and I are headed out to a nice dinner tonight, and then tomorrow, we'll be at home. It's been a super busy week, and more than ever, all of us like to have downtime to recharge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...