Skip to main content

Immersive Experiences

Ava and I had such a good day together this past Monday! After we took G to his summer program, we ran a few errands, got a haircut for Ava, and then headed into NE Minneapolis to check out the Immersive Van Gogh experience. I wasn't 100% sure where we were going, but we found it without issue (as well as an easy place to park. That's where I get grumpy...if parking isn't available!) We stayed for about an hour, watched the experience the full way through, and then did a little bit of shopping at the gift shop. 

New haircut!


Ava took up frog origami...? She has an entire family of amphibians like this.

One of my co-workers/friends went last weekend, and said it was a great way to introduce the art to someone who may not normally go to a museum. I concur! I do not enjoy going to art museums, so this was a wonderful way to experience the art, in a non-traditional way. There was a specific pairing of an art piece (Morning: Going Out to Work) with a beautiful song (Edith Piaf - Non, je ne regrette rien), and it moved me to the point where I wanted to start crying. I very rarely have those reactions to art in a museum. I think it was the combo of music + art that really boosted the feeling.



After we removed ourselves from Van Gogh's mind, we headed to the MoA and did some serious shopping for a few hours. It was fun going to the different stores with her, and learning about the types of things that she is drawn to. Our trip on Monday set the stage for her trip back to the MoA on Friday...she went with the Y! And came home with items purchased that made her look like a teenager in the '90's. Super weird, since that's when Scott and I were teens. But, she's happy with her purchases, and that is all that matters. Plus, she had fun with friends on Friday, so that's a pretty close second.

Bucket hat ✔   Choker/tattoo necklace ✔   Sullen expression ✔  

Yep, child of the '90's!


Ava and I also helped chalk words of encouragement to teachers and staff at G's elementary school on Wednesday night. There is so much anger and division over the mask mandates (and schools in general, right now), that we wanted to show our support. Being a teacher isn't easy (I know neither Scott nor I could do it), and the position they have been put into the last 1.5 years has been increasingly difficult. Ugh.

G had a great week, too...his Y group went to Minnehaha Falls (not much water in the falls at that point), and also Good Times Park (an indoor play park in the area.) Plus, he and I went to his Open House and met his 2nd grade teacher on Thursday night. He also met his locker buddy, and found out that he has a few extra friends in his class. I hope he has a fantastic year!

On Friday, the neighbor across the street texted to see if G wanted to go to Rockin' Jump (a trampoline park) for 90 minutes that afternoon. Um, yeah!! He had so much fun jumping with Abigail (who was in his class last year...and this year, too!) He was so exhausted, he had to sneak in a nap before dinner.


Next week is their last week of the Y summer programs, and then they both head back to school, in person, full-time on Wednesday, September 8. Ava actually has to go in for two half days next week (all middle schoolers have to do that) and she is not looking forward to it. I think it'll be a great way to ease back into the school setting, at a reduced "speed" for a few days. She figured out she has three classes with a friend of hers, so that'll make it a bit easier to be back in school, too.

As long as the weather holds, I have plans tonight to meet up with a few co-workers. One of them I haven't seen since March 2020, so I'm really looking forward to catching up for a bit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...