Skip to main content

Winding Down

This was the last week where the kids were at the current locations for their summer programs. It was really convenient and easy to drop them off, as the elementary and middle schools were right next to each other. Starting next week, the kids are going to be separated at locations that are much further apart (all within the same city, but not right next to each other!)

Whenever we hit this point in the summer, it starts to sink in that school is just around the corner. Both kids will be getting haircuts in the next few days, and we have 1st day of school and picture day outfits selected. All school supplies have been purchased and labeled. Bus schedules and assignments have been received. And the calendar is beginning to fill up with commitments, meetings, events, etc. It's an exciting time, and I personally look forward to getting everyone back into a more scheduled routine.

Our school district hasn't issued a mask mandate (yet), but both Ava and G will be wearing their masks in school. They both wore them this summer, without complaint, so I know they can handle it during the school day. I truly think that kids will react based on how the adults in their lives present the issue. There are exceptions to the rule, but I believe that kids model their responses and behaviors based on what they see from adults close to them. I'm grateful that our kids don't have any issues wearing them. We're doing what we can to keep them (and others) safe!

Last weekend, I was up before anyone (even Scott...unreal!) so I had a chance to enjoy a cup of coffee and a book before the constant hum of the household started. It was a great way to kick off the day!


G and Party Llama eventually joined me for a few snuggles


The kids had a few really fun field trips this week. They both went to the Twins game on Wednesday, and then Ava went to a local cooking school on Friday. The next few weeks will be filled with even more fun, like a trip to the MoA and Valley Fair for Ava, and Grand Slam for G. We're so happy they're able to get in a few more super fun days with friends before they head back to school for the year!

In addition, Ava spent a fun day on Tuesday with Grandma Deb...they went shopping, ate lunch, and enjoyed their time together. We are so happy that they have moved back to Minnesota so we can spend more time with them.

Ava and I have a fun day on Monday planned...we're also going to go shopping, get her haircut, and then head to the Immersive Van Gogh experience in Minneapolis. I bought our tickets back in March, so we've been looking forward to it for a while!

Scott hosted a small outdoor gathering with neighbors last Saturday night (I was at a party), so the kids finally had a chance to eat s'mores and hang out around a very small bonfire. We're looking forward to the cooler autumn nights where we can gather around the fire table - probably without the gooey marshmallow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...