Skip to main content

Acorns and Olaf

This week, G was studying the letter "O" at daycare. This means that we had to really brainstorm ideas for toys that begin with the letter O (they bring toys each week to share with the class.) I came up with a toy orange, but...that wasn't good enough. We don't have a toy owl, or orangutan, or ocelot. Or ox, for that matter. Thank goodness Scott said, "What about Olaf?" (You know...the snowman from the movie "Frozen".)

Ava wasn't really happy with this suggestion because G doesn't have an Olaf toy, but...she does! It's the tiniest little Olaf you could imagine; it was rescued from inside a chocolate egg. I finally told her that if G lost her Olaf, I'd buy her a bigger one to replace it. Needless to say...the Olaf made it home safely on Thursday night!

Ava and I have been collecting acorns to use in fall craft projects. I found a method of preserving them, so we can use them year after year. Hers are in great shape, but I picked up some that had bugs in them. Yuck. Apparently maggots can pop right out of them when it's time! (All maggots were contained and did not get loose in the home, for the record.) So, yesterday, as I was working in the afternoon, I decided it was time to start the preservation process. I got rid of any with holes or cracks, washed off any dirt, and then baked them for two hours at 200F. That should ensure that no more maggots make a surprise appearance. Today, I'm going to hot glue any loose tops back on, spray them with a clear coat, and then they'll be ready to use. It's been a while since I've done anything crafty, so I'm looking forward to it. I bought a really cute table runner on Etsy, so I'm excited to see how this all comes together!

Last night, Ava and G had the very last overnight at Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey's house. They are moving to Florida in the very near future, so it's a bittersweet time. We will miss having them in MN, but know they will enjoy their new location...especially while it's freezing in MN!

Scott and I enjoyed our child-free night...we had a belated anniversary dinner, and then spontaneously decided to go to a movie (with online reservations available for movies now, "spontaneous" isn't always successful when it comes to seeing a show!) We saw Kingsman: The Golden Circle...and it was good! It's not one that we could watch with kids as it's pretty violent, so I'm glad we could see it in the theater (I bet it's been over 9 months since I've been to a movie with just Scott.) There are some scenes with a meat grinder that had me gagging at Scott's suggestion to have grilled hamburgers tonight. I guess we'll see...!

The restaurant brought us a red velvet cupcake to share for our celebration...yummy!




My parents are coming over for dinner tonight, so I'm looking forward to a productive day, and a fun night. Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...