Skip to main content

Teaching-Heart-Art-Teamwork

Ava loves creating art. Ava loves to bake. When I found a Living Social for an art/cooking class that we could both attend, it was the perfect match! So, yesterday morning, we made our way up to a small little suburb outside of St Paul, and proceeded to spend a few very fun hours making art and food!  The location is called "THAT Cooking School", and we learned "THAT" stands for Teaching-Heart-Art-Teamwork.  Love the concept!

The painting portion came first, and our very own Bloop (our betta fish) gave us the inspiration for the color scheme. Ava's fish ended up looking like it was wearing a princess hat, so we named it Princess Fishy. And, mine is going to be Bloop's girlfriend...her name is Miranda. Not sure why...I don't question these things!



Introducing Princess Fishy and Miranda!


After we were done with our masterpieces, we moved into the kitchen and made a variety of food that we'll be able to recreate at home. We made apple roses with a puff pastry and orange marmalade. We then focused on an egg-cellent egg bake (haha), which will be an easy brunch item that each family member can prepare. As those were baking, we assembled banana-Oreos (bananas with peanut butter and cereal) and a banana penguin, using melted chocolate, cranberries and golden raisins.




The banana penguin and the banana Oreos...yum!


Apple roses and the egg bake


We had so much fun chatting with the other adults/kids who were there...it was a wonderful experience to share together. Plus, everything tasted really, really good!

That was a great way to end a busy week...both kids had their dentist appointments on Monday. This was the first time G would let them clean his teeth without fighting them. No cavities for either one - hooray!  My big project at work went live on Wednesday morning, so I have been putting in a lot of extra hours at work...but, I took this past Friday and the upcoming Monday off, so I'm able to relax a bit. G was sick on Friday so I had him at home with me, but I'm hoping for some real quiet time tomorrow, since everyone should be well enough to go to their designated locations!

As we were driving up to St Paul yesterday morning, there were several buses that passed us. They were filled with people heading to the St Paul sister march to the Women's March in DC. I was so proud and happy to see them! What an amazing outpouring of love and support from the entire country and across the world! And it was peaceful. Ava learned about MLK, Jr. this month, and it struck home the difference of peaceful vs. violent protests. The only arrest that took place in St Paul yesterday was from a Trump supporter who pepper sprayed the marchers. I've heard there was an incredible amount of love and kindness shown at the march...amazing! This is the best way to create the necessary changes in the world.

We're going to introduce the kids to The Original Pancake House today, and then we're hoping for some low key time at home. Sunday Funday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...