Skip to main content

The Early Bird

I realized that I skipped a chunk of pictures that I wanted to share...things were super busy last weekend, so we'll blame my lapse of memory on that! The focus was so much on Ava's party, that I neglected to share the family birthday photos, too.

Two weeks ago, we invited all of the grandparents over for a wonderful dinner of smoked prime rib (and other yummy sides), and then topped it off with a raspberry mojito birthday cake for the newly minted eight-year-old. We like to experiment with different birthday cake flavors for her birthday, and this one was MUCH better than the watermelon cake from last year (gross-gross-gross!)

 
  
Saying cheese with Grandpa Doug!


G and I took a break from the present pics to take some selfies ;)


Even his cars made an appearance!


Super excited to be receiving an aquascope!


And no birthday is complete without something from American Girl - this time is was a pizza party set - awesome!


We have also been blessed with some really great weather lately.  Yesterday, I bought a slip-n-slide, based on how much the kids loved the neighbor's version last weekend! I also picked up a badminton set (no net), and I think it's time to break out the croquet set from my parents...I was eyeing up a bocce set, too, but decided to ease slowly into the summer games. I do really enjoy bocce, though! My teammate (Ryan) and I didn't do very well in the bocce tournament at work this year...my teammate from last year (Matt) was happy to hear that he couldn't easily be replaced!




Ava and I finally made it to the pool this year...turns out the best time to go is after dinner...we were guaranteed a chair!


It was a busy week at work, but a good one..very productive. Ava had a great week, as well. She spent the first two days with Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey, and then joined us again on Tuesday night. I decided it was time to find a children's clinic closer to home, so we went to a new doctor this week for her eight year check-up. She's super healthy, but she was encouraged to eat more vegetables! I love it when someone other than the parents lay down the law!

Speaking of healthy eating...two weeks ago, I came into work with a doughnut and a homemade cookie on my desk...two different Account Managers decided to give me food that day for my work on our shared projects.  Yes, PLEASE!


G had fun at daycare this week, too...he made an awesome tie-dye shirt one day, went to the Rosemount splash pad another day, and spent a lot of time at the park on the other days. They also had a tornado drill, which Ava thought was amazing...she is terrified yet also highly interested in tornadoes. In fact, when most kids picked cats or dogs for a research project last year, she and her classmate picked to learn about tornadoes!

This weekend has been so relaxing...we took it easy on Friday night, and while Scott and my dad worked on a new retaining wall in our front yard (!!), Ava and I leisurely bought absolutely everything at Target.  She had some birthday money to spend, and I realized that G still had a gift card from Christmas...he was super happy with the remote control car we brought home for him. The dogs were pretty interested, too...it's a toy that everyone can enjoy!

I woke up around 5am on Saturday, wide awake...I had almost 8 hours of sleep at that point, so decided to get up and enjoy the quiet morning.  I made some coffee, took a book out to the deck, and enjoyed the sunrise.  It was an AWESOME way to start my day!


Our new retaining wall - Scott has done a great job so far!


After the kids were in bed last night, we checked out a neighbor's new patio, and enjoyed some fireworks from down the street. We also met another couple in the neighborhood, who I think would be a hoot to hang out with! Turns out they own a restaurant in St. Paul that we've been to, but even better...their daughter is friends with Ava, and she had come to the party last weekend. This was truly a connect-the-dots kind of night!

We're going to go tree and shrub shopping today, and then will enjoy a low key dinner with my parents. We're hoping to check out a 4th of July carnival tomorrow in Eagan and then watch fireworks from our neighborhood. We have a great view of the Apple Valley fireworks from just down our street. Since it's late on a Monday this year, we thought it would be best to stay at home and make it an easy night.

Happy Birthday, America!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...