Skip to main content

Farewell 2016!

2016 didn't seem like a bad year until the last 60 days - and then it really went downhill. I think there are two different considerations for this.
  1. The campaign and eventual election results cast a large shadow over "normal" life. Everything was tinged with a bit of the hate that became commonplace. This led to the rest of 2016 being dark and angry, where it may not have normally been.
  2. From all of this darkness, positive actions have occurred. Groups of individuals have come together to show that the hate will not be tolerated, that is is not acceptable. People have found new friends and have seen the true colors of current ones.
Everyone I've spoken with was SO ready for 2016 to be done. They seem to think that the flip of a calendar will make everything right in the world. 2017 will fix it all! 

It won't. Celebrities will still pass away.  We will still be inaugurating a new president in a few short weeks. But good news, the power to see the good buried in the bad is within you. If there's something that you don't like, and you can make a change, for goodness sake, DO IT! Don't just complain about it. Life is far too short to be trapped by surroundings that can be changed. 

I'm not making any big resolutions this year, except to do my best to be happy each day. I want to be healthy, spend time with those I love, develop my hobbies, and try to look for the beauty, even when it seems too dark to see it. Life is happening right now and I can't miss any more of it!

On a more lighthearted note...both Scott and I had this past week off. We took the kids to see the movie "Sing". It was G's first movie.  He was a little antsy at the end, and just wanted to keep eating popcorn, but was overall very good, and quiet. Hooray, now we can all go to the movies together! Milestone, for sure!

Scott and I were also able to sneak in a few day dates...a breakfast after the kids were in daycare for the day, and then a lunch and movie on another day. It was so nice to be able to reconnect as a couple, without having the distraction of the kids.

We rung in 2017 with our very dear friends...I told Tiffany that there is nowhere else I'd rather be than hanging out with them on each New Years Eve. We've rung in the NY with them for at least the last 13 years, and I hope it continues for many more! The girls all get along really well, and even though G was included for some of their playtime, he was totally fine playing on his own, too. It's hard to be the only boy!

Our Christmas decorations are down, the basement finishing project has kicked off again, and we had an excellent prime rib dinner with my parents last night. We all go back to work and school tomorrow, so we're going to make the most of today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...