Skip to main content

The New Normal

A few weekends ago, G and I explored another area of the south metro, looking for a creek to walk by. We didn't have much luck, but we ended up at my parents' house, so we stopped in for an unexpected visit. I consider that a win for the day! Later that night, Arya requested a bonfire for her last Saturday night at home. We hadn't set up the fire table or the back deck yet this year, so we scrambled to get everything put together and ended up enjoying the beautiful weather that night.



Lots of ducks on our walk!


Bonfire!


She tolerated being by the fire, but didn't love it


Last Saturday, Scott and I moved Arya to her new home at UWRF. It was pouring rain during her move-in time slot, but I came prepared with towels, so it didn't impact us too much. We had it all set up within a few hours, then took her out to lunch, got her some groceries, and said our goodbyes. Scott and I then walked through campus, made a quick visit to the school store, and then left our girl in Wisconsin. Emotionally, I was okay on Saturday but a wreck on Sunday. Lots of tears for me. Scott shed his one tear on Saturday, and then he was fine. By Monday, I was okay, too. Logically, I know she's only 45 minutes away, but it was hard not knowing what she had going on each day, who she was hanging out with, etc. But she's been great about texting, so we don't feel completely cut out. AND, she's at home right now, at least for Saturday evening, so she can have dinner with us and do laundry. She's been at the MoA all afternoon with a friend, so I'm excited to see her when she gets back home.

We told her she needed to finish this 2000-piece puzzle before she moved to college - she wrapped it up the night before leaving!


Last night at home


All moved in!




The Kinni River that runs through campus...so pretty (this is the type of river that I'm looking for in the south metro!)


Sad that one of her humans has moved out


Arya had a great orientation experience and an equally good first week of classes. G also had a good first week of classes - 7th grade seems to fit him well, and he was so happy to see his friends again. He was invited to watch his friend play in a football game, so I get the sense that we're starting to see him getting more into activity plans, which is great... it just means that his time as a teen is coming up soon. He's been really good at spending time with me over the last week since he knows I've been a little sad with Arya gone.

First day of 7th grade


G's choice for dinner on the first night of school: Texas Roadhouse!


Arya's first day of freshman year!


A few random pics from the week:

G's been really into setting up battles lately...all over the house. In the family room...


In our bedroom (Pria came running through a few minutes later and took out half the soldiers)


Creepy pose from his bedroom door at bedtime


Raining while the sun was shining...weird!


My pretty Pria



This morning I went out for breakfast, and then flower-picking with some friends. It was such a neat experience, and close to home. We decided that we need to do a fun activity like this once a month, so we've got ideas (and the planners) lined up for the next two months!



Looking forward to a long weekend; it's been a stressful time lately, so we all need some downtime for rest and relaxation!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

Preparing for Vacation

We had a low key week, which is rare in this house. Oh sure, there were fun field trips at Summer Power, a visit to the splash pad on a hot day, and a few crazy, rain storms, but it was an easy week. Well, there was that one time when we were out for dinner with G (Ava was with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug for an overnight stay and a trip to the Dakota County Fair - fun!) and G decided to hide behind my chair and puke all over me and the floor (at the restaurant.) Ugh. The good news is that he was just too full of chocolate milk...no illness! A quiet week, once in a while, is an okay thing! We're starting to prep for our vacation to the Wisconsin Dells...we don't take too many family vacations, so this is a big event for us. (Funny, I took a break from writing this post as Scott just asked me about planning a trip to Disney...we were debating the differences between going to California vs. Florida...pros and cons to each!) Yesterday, I showed G a video from one of the wat...