Skip to main content

Half of a Century

I celebrated my 50th birthday this past week! When I was younger, 50 sounded reaallllly old. But now that I'm there, I recognize that it's really not. As I mentioned last week, the iron supplements I'm taking for my anemia have kick-started me feeling a million years younger, as well. 

We had a wonderful birthday dinner at my parents' house last weekend (complete with my favorite kind of birthday treat - yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Basic, yes, but I love it so much!)

I had a really busy week planned at work, so taking my birthday off (Tuesday) was a relief and gave me a chance to slow down and reflect on my life. The weather was sunny and warm (I've had my share of rainy birthdays, so anytime the sun is out on my birthday, I'm grateful.) Scott picked up flowers and a Starbucks gift card for me, so I had breakfast courtesy of Starbucks and read while sitting on our front porch. Pria loved having me home on a Tuesday and wanted to sample some of the goods.

The rest of the day was spent working on stuff around the home, and my mom stopped by unexpectedly. It was a treat to hug her on my actual birthday! That night, we drove to a restaurant 30 minutes away known for its burger selection. Our dinner that night wasn't fancy, but it was exactly what I wanted. We were treated to a fiery sunset on the drive home - pictures don't do it justice. And that was a wrap on the day. Simple, but perfect. I had been struggling to come up with grandiose plans to celebrate this big birthday, and then I realized I didn't need to. However I wanted to celebrate is exactly right for me.  


This girl, always by my side










We're working through the last month of school, with many things to check off the list for Arya. On Friday morning, we learned that she earned a scholarship from a local family foundation - amazing! We are so grateful for anything that helps to tackle the tuition costs. 

G has been fascinated by storm tracking, so last weekend we watched "Twister" (from the 90's), and on Friday night we started watching "Twisters" from 2024. It is a pretty long movie, so we're going to finish it on Saturday night. We've been giving him more freedom to ride his bike outside the neighborhood (he wants to storm chase, I told him NO), which means I have a bit more time for self-care. I did a great job this week with working out and taking time to decompress. I guess you really do earn time back as the kids get older and more self-sufficient. We just need Scott to slow down a bit, so he's not as stressed out about work. He took on an extra role while some of his colleauges are out, and I know he's counting down the days until they get back to work.

Can't believe it's almost May...I think we might be done with snow for the season, ha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...