Skip to main content

Sixteen, Savannah, Stripes!

It's been a minute since I posted...and we have been busy! What have we been up to? Well...to kick things off, we celebrated a wonderful Father's Day with my parents and Scott. We are so lucky to have them as part of our lives!



Ava then earned another stripe on the purple belt...getting close to the next level!


And then we celebrated Ava's 16th birthday! WHAT? How did that happen? It was a really busy day, with lots of driving...3+ hours back/forth to Mankato, and then the most important drive...a 20 minute one that Ava took with the driver's license tester. And she passed! Hooray! It's amazing how much more free time I have now that I'm not driving a teenager all around!

Door décor!


Woohoo!


Had to make a trip to Minnesota's largest candy store


Cake time!


16 candles!




A few days after that, two friends and I headed to Savannah. GA. It was a wonderful trip, with strange experiences occurring. Extra drinks being delivered, a light fixture filling with water (yikes), random rainstorms, a haunted trolley tour. a dinner boat cruise on the Savannah River (we saw dolphins!), relaxing pedis, a great hop-on/hop-off trolley tour all around Savannah, shopping, dueling pianos wuith an extra show, and then finally ending with a cancelled flight back to MSP. It's a good thing that we all went with the flow and no one got too upset about it. 

So, we rented a car and headed up to Myrtle Beach. It was really nice having a few hours by the ocean, and then taking an uneventful flight home. Such a good trip with friends...I don't remember that last time I did that! (Maybe the Winfields, many many years ago??)

6/20: Finally arrived!


6/21: Walking around Savannah...decided to get a drink, just because we could!


Forsyth Park - so pretty!



We had a view of the Savannah River from our room...these cargo ships were so big!


Enjoying our dinner cruise


Our ship went right by one of the cargo ships...it dwarfed us!


Pulling back into port




6/22: Resting on the hop-on-hop off trolley ride


Getting ready for fun at a dueling piano bar


And then walking back to the hotel in a downpour!


6/23: A brief visit to Myrtle Beach





And then it was back to work/real life. Each kid earned another stripe for their purple belts this past week (which means Ava is moving up to a blue belt!) 



Enjoying dinner out with the whole fam


Ava hosted a 16th birthday party with several friends on Friday afternoon. It was a bit surreal...she did all of the communications, purchased the food (we reimbursed her), and then we both cleaned and decorated together. It was the most hands-off birthday party that we've had in 16 years. Is this the future?!

After everyone left, Ava, Brynlee, G and I headed to the MoA, because the two teens wanted to have dinner at a specific restaurant. So, G and I enjoyed dinner at the Rainforest Café, and then squeezed in trips to the LEGO Store (of course), Toys R Us, and Barnes & Noble. It was a great, and slightly exhausting Friday night.



He thought this little train was so funny at Toys R Us!




I was very happy to see that we have no plans this weekend (except Ava, but she and a friend can get themselves to where they need to go, without me!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...