Skip to main content

Holderness Fun!

We kicked off this week with my belated birthday dinner at my parents house. It was really nice to be able to relax for a few hours with a homecooked meal, and a chance to catch up. And cake, let's not forget the cake!

The kids wrapped up the 2nd to last week of school...I can't believe 10th and 4th grade are coming to an end! Everyone is pretty excited to have a long break ahead of them. G ended up "winning" 2 of the 6 classroom goldfish, so we hurriedly bought an aquarium on Thursday night and got it all setup for the impending arrival of Little Timmy and Bill Nye. Friday was a really, really busy day for me, so I ended up taking care of their lengthy transition on Friday night starting at 11:30pm. They made it through the night, but Little Timmy ended up dying on Saturday morning. He was looking a little stressed, so I'm not completely surprised. We think Bill Nye is sad...he's just resting (yes, he's alive) near the bottom of the tank. We'll see if he makes it through the weekend. And if not, we will be getting a betta fish, because I know how to raise those...way easier than goldfish!


Bill Nye


I had no idea that dogs were easier than fish...


On Friday afternoon, my mom and I headed to the MoA for a belated Mother's Day outing. She's such a good mom...I asked if she wanted to join me for the Kim and Penn Holderness book signing/meet & greet. We weren't 100% sure how crowded it was going to be, but we managed to fit in a leisurely lunch, a tiny bit of shopping, and still scored seats for the Q&A. Because we were in the "inside" area, we also were able to do a meet & greet, and get my book signed. I was panicking a little bit, not knowing what I was going to say when I met them...but it turns out that wasn't an issue! We had a chat about how much my mom and I look like sisters, and then also why that's an awkward thing to say to the daughter. There were some laughs, hugs, and lots of pics. I am so glad that we were able to make this work - I've been following them for years, so it was really neat to be able to meet them in person. (And, spend time with my mom!)




Waiting in line to meet them



Pretty sure this is where Kim was explaining why it wasn't bad to be called your mom's sister...



After that, I headed to a local winery for a 90's dance event with some neighbors. It was lots of fun, and reminded me of being at bars in my earlier years. I was pretty pooped by the time I got home, but (reference back to the 2nd paragraph above), I had to deal with the fish (takes about an hour to complete the whole transition.)

We'll see what the next week brings us. But, it's a guarantee we will have two happy kids, ready to start their summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh

Happily Ever After?

Lately, I've been adding to the Disney Princess movies in our collection.  Last week I bought Beauty and the Beast for Ava.  That was never a favorite movie of mine, but now that I've seen it several times in the last week, it's growing on me.  I figure this is a good chance for me to catch up on some of the stories that I missed out on! Watching all of these princess movies has me thinking about fairy tales...why is it that it's always the evil stepMOTHER?  Or the mom is dead, and no one has taken her place?  Very rarely is it the father who is evil, or dead.  This has actually come up as a topic in more than one conversation lately, and has me a bit intrigued.  Fairy tales are often not very happy - and usually someone dies at some point.  I was a giving an overview of Snow White to a friend of mine, and as I was going through the story, both of us were horrified at the message - mom dies, evil stepmother wants to murder her pretty stepdaughter, and when she doesn

What's Black & White?

It's officially summer in Minnesota.  We've passed the 1-2 weeks where it's pleasant outside, and have moved into the hot and humid midwestern summer season.  This calls for some FUN in the SUN!  We were hoping that Ava would enjoy the water a little more this year than she did last year (I took her to several weeks of swimming lessons in a lap pool, where the temp of the water was just a wee bit too chilly.  It didn't go well for either of us.)  Plus, she has a new swimming suit I was anxious to have her try out, so at the very least, I knew she would look cute. :) So, Daddy decided to set up the sprinkler for her one night after dinner.  This, too, did not go very well.  Perhaps it's because he sprung the sprinkler on her without warning, causing her to run to me, with fear in her eyes, and very wet hands...  After that, we never got her to come near the sprinkler (way to go, Daddy), and she decided to play with my potted flowers...with her very wet hands.  This