Skip to main content

Week 27 at Home: Time for School

Well, folks, school has started. And week 1 was a success! G had a great two days with his real teacher at school, and then an equally good three days at home with his mom-teacher (hey, that's me!) He made lots of new friends, behaved well, and seems to be enjoying his time out of the house. 



One of the benefits of having G at home is that we can go for walks over lunch together

Ava also had a great first week at school...in her room. As a reminder, she's doing 100% distance learning, and rocked it this first week. She worked ahead so by Friday, she only had two things to do. She is starting to learn Chinese this year, and then also decided to learn Japanese on her own. And remember, just this past summer she started teaching herself Korean. She was vacuuming the other day and was able to recognize some Japanese (Katakana) writing on our Dyson vac. I'm so proud of her for realizing that there is a BIG world available to explore and learn about, outside of our country. I believe that drive to learn about other cultures will serve her well. (My degree is in International Business and Economics, so I fully support her exploring global interests.)

We've had a fun weekend so far. On Friday night, the weather was perfect for a bonfire and s'mores with the neighbors. We didn't get too wild and crazy though, as Scott had a full day of (side) work ahead of him on Saturday, and the kids and I were up early, heading off to the doctor for their flu shots. G was beside himself thinking about getting a shot, and when the nurse offered the mist, we jumped on it. Usually the mist is in short supply, but she said that this year, that's what they are trying to push. So glad, as it made the visit to the doctor's office much better. 

After we wrapped that up, I treated us all to a visit to Caribou and some yummy fall drinks. We joined the Raddish cooking club, so on today's agenda was to make the apple cider donuts from scratch. The kids worked together well, and the donuts turned out great! Next up is either an herb-roasted chicken or sweet potato gnocchi. I'm pretty excited that we're having fun making good food, and spending quality time together. 






We've had great weather this past week, so Scott pulled out our garden (which didn't do so well this year.) But, check out this amazing pumpkin from our garden! I can't believe it's almost fall. We need to enjoy the last few weeks of sunshine before the flurries come!


Last but definitely not least...the news that RBG has passed away is heartbreaking. So many people (myself included) are feeling gutted by the loss. This is not surprising because, well it's 2020. I pray that people use their right to vote, and help us to turn things around in this country. This past summer, I told Ava that we're going to watch the RBG documentary together, and now seems like a perfect time to do so. 

RIP RBG - you have changed so many lives!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

Preparing for Vacation

We had a low key week, which is rare in this house. Oh sure, there were fun field trips at Summer Power, a visit to the splash pad on a hot day, and a few crazy, rain storms, but it was an easy week. Well, there was that one time when we were out for dinner with G (Ava was with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug for an overnight stay and a trip to the Dakota County Fair - fun!) and G decided to hide behind my chair and puke all over me and the floor (at the restaurant.) Ugh. The good news is that he was just too full of chocolate milk...no illness! A quiet week, once in a while, is an okay thing! We're starting to prep for our vacation to the Wisconsin Dells...we don't take too many family vacations, so this is a big event for us. (Funny, I took a break from writing this post as Scott just asked me about planning a trip to Disney...we were debating the differences between going to California vs. Florida...pros and cons to each!) Yesterday, I showed G a video from one of the wat...