Skip to main content

Week 25 at Home: Goin' Fishin'

 Yay, it's a long weekend! The kids had their last week of summer programming (and will be home with me for a week before starting school on 9/14) and Scott and I took Friday off to extend the holiday weekend. We decided it was a great day to take the boat out for another fishing trip. The biggest difference is that the launch was empty when we got there (just a few trucks/trailers in the lot) so we could take our time getting the boat into the water. And just like last time, the clasp unsnapped as I tried to pull it to the dock so I had to stretch really far to make sure the boat didn't float away from the dock. It was a little dicey - yikes! G also managed to break a seat lever and then something weird happened with the hitch when Scott was taking the boat back to storage...so besides some really strange maintenance issues that we'll need to take care of, it was uneventful.

Big Marine Lake (near Scandia) was almost empty as well...just a few fishing boats in the water. We went to the same lake we went to over the 4th of July, but at that time it was filled with speed boats with water skiers, and big families, enjoying the hot weather and the cool water. This time...it was relaxing and quiet. All we could hear were the birds and the water. 

G and Scott did all of the fishing, while Ava and I kicked back and tried to stay warm. Last time we were too hot, this time we were too cold. There's no pleasing us. ;) But, G caught the first fish, and then Scott caught a decent sized sunfish. We figured out how to fill the live well on the boat and puttered around with our new fish friend hitching a ride. The fish weren't really in a biting mood yesterday, so we let our sunfish go before we headed home. It was a fun way to spend the morning/afternoon as a family, getting fresh air and sunshine.








The rest of the weekend will be filled with chores around the house and hopefully some fun time with the neighbors. Looking forward to a relaxing Labor Day weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...