Skip to main content

Week 9 at Home: A Rough Time

It hit me this week that for the last 2 months, I have been a hands-on mom, 24/7. There's no time for breaks over lunch, no decompression on my commute to/from work, and no time the kids are away for a bit playing at someone's house.

It has been non-stop, with one exception. Ironically, that exception took place on Mother's Day. After I celebrated being a mom with my kids, I was able to get away for several hours, and focus on being a daughter. I spent a full afternoon with my parents. And it was lovely. It was quiet, there was adult-only conversation, and it was a chance to catch up with two people who I love more than anything in the world.

That break gave me a chance to relax and refill my bucket so I could come home and be a better mom and wife to my family. I really needed that break.

G left this little note for me in the guest room on Mother's Day!


My new Columbine plant...
almost as pretty as the Rocky Mountain Columbine (the Colorado state flower)


We had a pretty rough week with G. He was super sassy this week, and was really exerting some power moves. It didn't help that the first three days of the week I was in meetings, all day long. All of those nights he had to finish up his schoolwork once I was done working. By the time Friday rolled around, we were both super happy that it was Friday Flex Day, and he didn't have any real assignments to do. He did one sheet of morning work, learned intro coding skills with Pixel the Puppy, and then played on Legos.com for a bit.

G was being such a good boy and we had been talking about the Minecraft Zombie Cave Lego set. I just happened to have purchased it and decided it would be a good thing for him to work on for Friday afternoon. Turns out that it causes nothing but tears of frustration and it resulted in him getting it taken away a few hours later. Whew. No more Lego sets if an adult isn't available to help him build it.

Not happy!



Ava had another good week at school. I still check in on her a few times a day, and always review her grades every day, but overall, she's doing really well with this quarantine thing. She's been on a few more "socially distant" walks with her friend, so I'm happy to see that she's getting outside and being a little more active. She's also wrapping up week 3 of her anime class. I think they learned about drawing hands and feet this week, as well as the importance of creating character stories. I love that every night before bed, she's tucked in and drawing in her sketch pad the Easter Bunny brought for her. It looks like she's putting these newly learned anime skills to good use!

Earlier in the week, Ava bit into a Milk Dud, exclaimed that there was a technical issue, and then pulled out her tooth. It wasn't even very loose, but that Milk Dud was extra sticky, I guess!

The Tooth Fairy has been making a lot of stop at our house lately...



When we're not busy battling G with zombies, we've all been hanging out in our basement. Scott finished up the bar this week and it looks great! He also mounted the TV and soundbar on the wall and we've enjoyed listening to music or watching shows down stairs as a family. We're hoping to find some furniture soon so we're not all laying on the ground or sitting on bar stools.

Scott and G were playing around...and moments later, G's finger was sprained. At least they had fun!


I'm so glad we went with the brick finish vs the wood finish we had originally discussed


Here's to hoping that the coming week is a bit more peaceful than the one that just ended!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...