Skip to main content

Week 10 at Home: Bar Time

The good news for the week is that we found bar stools for our new bar, and furniture for the family room in the basement. The somewhat bad news is that we don't know when we'll receive it. We received two of the four bar stools already, and I'm waiting to hear back from the company on when the other two will be shipped out (I'm not sure why they didn't just send them all at the same time??) The furniture may take 2-6 weeks to be sent/delivered, so for now, we're using the bar stools and the ground as our best seating options, lol.

We installed some strip lighting under the bar counter top last weekend - it's so bright!


Two new barstools!



Scott's been busy working this weekend on building floating shelves for another part of the wall in the basement. I'm not exactly sure how his vision will turn out, but he's put a lot of time into it, so I'm anxious to see what the final result is.

Ava had a pretty good week...like always, she's been focusing and getting through her school work without too much issue. Next week they will be having their virtual baton recital, so she will finally get to wear her pinky sparkly costume (it's cute but she doesn't like pink!) and get to perform. We'll see how it goes.

G had a somewhat rough week of not listening. It all comes down to him not wanting to do any writing for school. When he finally does do the work, he comments that he doesn't know why he complained, because it really wasn't that bad. I keep trying to remind him of that, but his emotions are so big that he doesn't listen when he's having a meltdown. I spent almost an hour trying to get him to write "Green means go!" on Thursday. It's at that point that I lose it, and am praying for the schools to be open in some capacity this fall. Ugh.

We did hear that Ava's up north summer camp is cancelled for June, but both of their daytime Y programs will be running this summer. I'm interested to hear how they're going to make it safe for the students and staff. They did let us know that field trips won't be happening, but they'll be bringing entertainment into the site. Ava is super happy to know that she might get to see some of her "summer" friends finally (kids that go to other local schools and who she only sees during the summer at the Y programs.)

G will be attending a new site location, since it's the elementary school right next to the middle school where Ava will be. I am going to do one dropoff each morning, and not drive all over the city to take them to different places. This will be the first time in six (?) years that we haven't been with the same staff for the summer program, and I'm a little nervous. But, they are all professionals, and I'm sure it'll be fine.

Both Scott and I took Friday off of work, so we could have a long four-day weekend. Scott helped his uncle with a landscaping job, and then did some side work, while I stayed at home with the kids. G had his Flex Friday, so minimal schoolwork for him. Ava was the only one with actual work to do - lucky girl!

We don't know the plans yet for me to go back into work, but my thought is that the kids can do the Y thing three days a week, and I can either work from home in peace (yay!) or go into the office. I'd like to work from home the other two days and keep the kids home with me on those days. That will help all of us, financially and mentally. These kids need to get out of this house and remember how to socialize with other people!

On Thursday night G had his finally therapy session (his therapist will be having a baby next month, so we've paused his appointments), and then I had a Zoom meeting with the Red Pine PTO, quickly followed by my book club Zoom meeting. At the end of the book club meeting, I stayed online and had a long chat with a neighbor. It was really nice to catch up. I miss seeing my friends.

For now, I have to drink my wine alone.


We're going to have another Zoom happy hour with girl friends near the end of this weekend, so that's something to look forward to. We're also hosting my parents for a Memorial Day dinner on Sunday night. We are really looking forward to spending time with them and showing them the end result of the work that we have done in the basement. Can't wait!

Happy Memorial Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...