Skip to main content

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could:

*Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something.

*Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness.

*Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at night, we barely have time to say "Hi-HowWasYourDay?-ILoveYou-andGoodNight" before we have to repeat the whole thing again the next day.  It's hard.  Scott's family is GREAT at watching Ava so we can have a few date nights here and there - we just need to do better at planning them.

In reality, if we had an extra 2 hours, we'd probably use them to work - both at our jobs, and around the house.  Not on the important inter-personal relationships.  Sigh.

Can you tell it's been a busy week?  The good news is that I started my spring cleaning, and the main floor bathroom is so sparkly clean and fresh.  At this rate of one room at a time, it'll take me all summer to get my spring cleaning done!  We (Scott) also planted our garden today, and we (me) planted all of our flowers.  Weeding provides me with deep satisfaction - it's instant gratification at its finest.  I do have to wonder if the neighbors saw me freak out yesterday as I pulled up a clump of weeds, and quite possibly, the slimiest worm came out with it...there was jumping, shuddering, and yelling.  I do not like worms.  So Scott had to show me an even longer worm that came out of the garden today - for a brief instant, I thought he was going to throw it at me.  Puke.

Ava also had three more teeth pop through on Friday - she's now got the full set on top and bottom, and we're just waiting for those 2-year molars to come through.  She's also moving into tattle-tell mode.  Scott was changing her diaper, and while we're not exactly sure what she said, we think she was "telling on him" to me. Moments later, she ran into the bathroom, found me perched on her foot stool (I was replacing the glass shades on the lights - cleaning, remember?), and yelled, "Daddy!  Mommy's on the stool!"  She seemed very distraught that I dared to use her stool.  We need to get her a sibling QUICK so she learns how to share. :)

Alrighty, just 10 more things I need to do before bed.  And I'm pretty sure I was supposed to be in bed by 9pm tonight - working on that additional sleep, you know?

Have a wonderful week, and try to find the time to do something that you truly enjoy!  Maybe we don't really need those extra 2 hours, after all...

Comments

Megan said…
"We need to get her a sibling QUICK".....AGREE :)
Anonymous said…
So with this QUICK sibling is there some news to share??? Are you already on your way to a sibling????
The Goers said…
Ha! No big news to share...the sibling is a far twinkle in our eyes right now. :)
Lisa said…
I would love to have a few more hours in the day. That is so funny that Ava is turning into a little tattle-tale on you! We've got to teach her that girls have to stick together. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...