Skip to main content

Thankful for it All

What a wonderful holiday weekend we've had so far! Last Saturday night, we went with a few neighbors to check out the tree lighting ceremony in downtown Rosemount. It had a quintessential small-town feel to it...a lovely tree, neighbors gathered on the lawn, a small speech by the mayor, a song or two by a few different choirs, and then we wrapped up with cider and cookies for all. The kids enjoyed it (Ava tolerated it, at best, lol) and it was neat to be taking part in a holiday tradition in town.




I was on PTO on Wednesday, and spent most of the day running errands (Christmas shopping as well as Thanksgiving food pickup) and prepping to host turkey day. It was one of those super productive days where I was really tired by the end, and might have fallen asleep by 8:30pm. Ha!

G was trying to be creepy here...he succeeded!


Taking a break to play some Roblox


I bought some amazing cookies at Crumbl...the line is usually out the door, but when I drove by on Wednesday, I spotted a rare opportunity to pick up some of this deliciousness!



On Thanksgiving morning, we watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and then started getting all of the food into the oven to feed the masses! Okay, okay, we didn't have a TON of people over, but it did take some coordination to make sure that all of the food was going to be done at the same time. I ended up pulling out the china that Scott inherited from his mom. It's a lovely set that his dad had bought his mom while he was overseas in the Navy. I'm so glad we are able to put it to good use.

My parents and Scott's mom joined us for dinner and conversation. Ava put on a trumpet performance, and there was never a quiet moment (except for when we were eating!) It was wonderful to be able to gather again as a family, and spend this time together. 

And then...Deb took Ava home for an overnight visit and some Black Friday shopping! Ava had a blast getting up super early (before 5am) and hitting the stores with her grandma, as well as going out for both breakfast and lunch. Lucky girl! Ava came home with a bunch of new items, and even bought little gifts for each of us. She's so generous!

While Ava was gone, I started to decorate the house for Christmas (I just couldn't do it before Thanksgiving), and once Ava came back home, we decorated the Christmas tree. It's SO nice that I can hand off the ornaments to the kids, and they can put them on the tree. I did minimal repositioning, so they are clearly getting better at not grouping everything together!


G has a whole line-up of Christmas movies that he wants to watch, but on Friday night, both kids agreed on Home Alone. No devices allowed, just quality family time, watching a favorite flick.

I found them competing in some sort of Pop It contest on Saturday morning. I didn't ask for details, but was really happy that they weren't arguing



Now that turkey day is done, it's time to turn the attention to Christmas. Most of the gift shopping has been completed, so now it's on to wrapping (UGH) and sending out the Christmas cards that just came on Friday. It's so much easier to spread it out through the season, so it's not a mad rush at the end. 

I'm pretty sure that George will be arriving here soon, so watch for his adventures in some upcoming posts. And, Advent starts on Sunday, so I'm excited to follow along with the class I registered for online at church, as well as light the candle(s) each night. We may even break the tradition of taking down the tree on New Years...just so we can fully celebrate the 12 days of Christmas. Why not extend it just a little bit longer? I'm hoping to focus a bit more on the reason for the season this year, and not just the commercial part of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...