Skip to main content

Pumpkin Wonderland

One of the new items on the spooky holiday bucket list is to hit up the MN Zoo pumpkin fest. There are 5,000+ pumpkins on display, and because the spectacular runs for a month, the pumpkins are switched out regularly. Last year the theme was all about the different decades. For 2019, the theme is "Around the World".

It's hard to get tickets for a weekend show, so we ended up going on Wednesday night, and there were still a lot of people there. We learned last year that while there's a people-jam at the beginning of the display, the path is wide enough that we can skirt around the crowds and get ahead of them, so we aren't blocked by a ton of people. We all are much happier when we follow that plan!

There are so many pumpkins there that I only captured the carvings that I really loved.



France


Germany


Germany


Greece


Greece


The Count


Ariel 


Minions


Egypt


Africa


Zombie eating a brain birthday cake...?


G loved the little tunnel with the purple lights



Ava had a fairly good week...she had a science test, as well as a make-up math test, so her brains were really put to work this week. It's been an adjustment to being able to see all of her grades/lessons online, but it makes it easy to check in on things regularly. We have a standing Saturday morning date to review her grades and see where she can improve upon things.

G had a decent week...he had a few rough days, but his teacher is so good at staying in contact with me. Over the last 15 schools days, he's had 12 good days and 3 not-so-good days...I think that's a pretty decent ratio! Overall he's such a smart, sweet boy, and it's only the struggle with the impulse control that's a challenge. That's how he's wired, and we are doing our best with teaching him how to recognize and redirect his impulses. I'm often reminding myself that it's "progress, not perfection." (Thank you to "Raising Your Spirited Child" for providing guidance on how to raise a child who is "more"...it's definitely not the same as raising a calm child, like Ava.)

It's also changed my lens of how I see children acting in public places. I will not judge a child who is "misbehaving" as I don't know the situation, or the parenting tactics that have been tried. There was a woman and a small boy (maybe 4 years old) behind me in line the other day and the boy was running around like crazy. She apologized to me for her "wild" child, and I immediately told her not to worry, that I had one of my own. It's a tough world, and I'm grateful for the opportunity that G has given me to see that not all children are easy to raise. Being his mom has made me a better, more open person, in general. (Ava, too, of course, but she has brought out different characteristics as a parent, like "how to manage OCD tendencies in a child"...ha!)

Scott was out of town this weekend, and I ended up taking Friday as a mental health/cleaning-the-basement day. :) That's a project that I've been wanting to tackle for oh, about five years now, and there's just not enough time on the weekend, so I used one of my precious PTO days...and I'm so glad I did! Friday, I worked for six hours to get 1/2 of our utility room and "shop" room organized. I discovered that I have a cleaning supply hording problem. Wow.

Yesterday, I worked for about 4 hours and unpacked (yes, boxes from when we moved here six years ago) the other half of our utility room. I found all of our barware - hooray! And, it turns out that Scott has a canning/mason jar hording problem. Double wow.

I also realized that we might have so many gift bags that we could open our own gift bag store. Like, seriously. I will not wrap gifts again until this crazy gift bag supply is cut in half!

But now, everything is unpacked with the exception of all of our photo albums and loose photos. THAT is a huge project that is mentally exhausting as well, and I just didn't have the ability to tackle that after 10 hours of organizing. That can be a winter project.

I found the boot from Gasthof's...we took this home the night we got engaged!


I uncovered this gem...Scott is on the right, and his brother, Tim, is on the left. Garrett looked at this pic and immediately said that he looked like his dad. It's those eyes and eyebrows, for sure!


So, now we're left with a huge pile of things to donate, a medium sized pile of things to recycle, and a small pile of things to throw away. As a bonus, I was able to clear out part of the piles in our office to find a permanent home in the basement for those things. It feels great to get things done!

We're going to have dinner tonight at my parent's new place, so it'll be nice to see how it's all come together, and to spend a few hours relaxing with them. Should be a great way to cap off the weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh