Skip to main content

Apple Orchard 2019

One of the things on our fall bucket list that we do each year is a trip to an apple orchard. We've bounced around to a variety of different orchards, and a few years ago, we discovered one that is just right for us...not so packed full of activities that it's overwhelming, but not so simple as to only have a store and not even allow us to pick our own apples.

The orchard we now visit is juuuuuust right! There's a little playground for G, a tractor/hayride to take us out to the apples, and even a small pumpkin patch to comb through. The little shop on site has plenty of treats and goodies, and it promotes a laid back atmosphere. Perfect for us!

We picked a variety of different apples....Honeycrisp, Sweet Tango, and Honey Gold. We discovered the Sweet Tangos last, and man, I think we all wish we had found those first. They are SO good!

When we got home from the orchard on Sunday afternoon, I used all of the Honey Gold apples to make a yummy apple crisp. I even had enough to share with some girl friends I met up with during the week.

I love the pic comparisons...the top one is from a few years ago, compared to the bottom one from this year. They've changed so much!


G thought the green pumpkin was funny!



Ready for the tractor/hayride!




Another tractor...fun!


Yesterday, I decided to make applesauce as well, so many of the Honeycrisps went towards that adventure. It turned out pretty yummy, and considering how much G loves applesauce, I figure it'll be gone in a blink!

On a non-apple note, Ava is doing so well in school! She's even doing well in math, which has always been a bit of a struggle for her. I asked her what class she liked the best, and turns out that science is her favorite. I'm surprised, but love that answer! I'm so excited to see how the rest of this year goes for her.

Neither of the kids had school on Friday (data day for teachers) so it was her first full day at home without us there...she survived and didn't burn the house down. Hooray! The only bummer was that our internet was out until about 9am, but she managed to fill her time with reading (much better than TV/playing online!)

G also had a great week at school - 4 days of behaving really well!! We're really proud of how hard he is trying...plus, we're all working through the triggers that really set him into high gear. I'm so, so happy that his teacher is keeping me apprised on a daily basis. It makes it easier for me to drop him off each day, knowing there's a strong support group for him there.

While Ava was hanging at home on Friday, G was on his first field trip with the Y. He headed over to an indoor playground and had a TON of fun meeting new friends, and burning off all of that extra energy he carries. I prepped them a little bit to let them know about his potential behaviors...another example where I'm so glad that I have gotten to know the staff over the years (from Ava being in the Y programs) and I feel comfortable telling them about G.

All around, we had a great week! I also had a fun night at a friend's house on Wednesday, and then had a 1st book club meeting on Thursday night with a bunch of neighborhood ladies. I'm so excited to finally be part of a book club, and I am looking forward to being forced to read something outside of my go-to genre. The first book up is "The Great Alone", by Kristin Hannah. I picked it up from the library yesterday and can't wait to dive in!

On the weather side of things, it snowed yesterday! It's all gone now, but wow, we haven't even had a proper fall with all of the leaves turning. This is a really confusing time of year. Ha!

Today we'll be decorating the house for fall/Halloween and working on getting G's birthday party invites ready to send out. Should be a great day!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...