Skip to main content

Goodbye RPE!

Oh boy, what an emotional week! In the days leading up to Ava's last day of 5th grade, I checked in with her to see how she was feeling about wrapping up her time in elementary school. She was excited and definitely NOT sad. She loved having her yearbook at school and had a great time passing it around. In fact, one day she came home and she had signatures on her legs, instead of the yearbook. I thought that was kind of weird, but what do I know??

With my excellent planning skills, I thought it would be a wise move to schedule Ava's ortho check-in before the school day started. What I didn't realize was that it was on the last day of school. Normally not a big deal, but it kicked off the day with a whole lot of driving around and a much earlier than normal departure time. So, no braces yet, but we assume they're coming in the next two years. She has only lost eight baby teeth, so it's all dependent on how the remaining twelve teeth come in, once they have room. At least she got a smoothie while in the office, and I enjoyed a caramel latte while waiting.

After that, it was time to drop her off for her last day of school. I made her take pics in several different places in front of the school, and a nice mom who was walking by offered to take a pic of the two of us. I wished her well on her last day and told her to have fun.





Fast forward 9 hours to the next time I saw her...

Me: Did you have a good last day of school?
Ava: *kinda nods head*
Me: Are you sad?
Ava: *nods head*
Me: Did you cry?
Ava: "Yes!"

The hard part is that her elementary school feeds into two different middle schools, in two different cities. A large percentage of the kids WILL go to the same middle school as Ava, but some of her friends will be going to the other one. I told her that it's hard, but she needs to make sure she gets the phone numbers for all of those kids so she can stay in touch.  Good thing she's getting a birthday present that will help out with that (more info on that in a following paragraph ;) )

We didn't have summer care for her on Thursday/Friday this past week, so Scott took two days off of work and stayed with her. They took the boat out (with Grandpa Doug) and enjoyed the great weather on Thursday. On Friday she met up with a friend at a local park and had fun playing. She asked if they could have sleepover, but because her friend is a boy, I said no. 75% of the parents involved said yes, but I was the 25% that was the buzzkill and said absolutely not. Oh well!

Ava also had a fun Saturday day out with Grandma Karen (shopping for several hours) and then a nice dinner out with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug (an early birthday dinner for both my mom and Ava.) Ava was definitely pampered!

During that time, G and I headed to a grad party for my good friend's daughter, and I had the chance to catch up with a co-worker who left BIW several years ago. It was great chatting about kids (she has 3 boys, 6th grade to 1st grade) and just about life in general. G had fun eating grapes and cheese the whole time. :)


Scott had a very long day of working (13+ hours) yesterday so after he was done, he met up for dinner with me and G. It was weird to have just one kid with us, but made it so much easier to have an adult conversation over dinner. But let's be honest, Ava's a pretty easy kid now that she's older, and doesn't demand too much attention...

Ava is heading out this afternoon to see a movie with some friends...I think we're going to have to get used to her not being here. I purchased her phone that she'll be getting for her birthday, so I need to be sneaky and try to get it set up without fully transitioning her number over until her birthday. Just nine more days - she will be so happy!

We were pretty excited to have a two week break from baton classes, where we didn't have to run anywhere on Tuesday night. And then on Tuesday night this week, a huge storm blew in, and we lost power from 5-10pm. We ended up eating out, at the same restaurant that's right next to her baton place. Haha! We saw two other neighborhood couples out, so apparently it was the place to be. I had to work that night, so after everyone was in bed, I huddled up on the couch with my phone and a flashlight. I was absolutely worthless for the deploy because I couldn't even check the site (because I was using my phone, and there was no WiFi.) Luckily the power came back on so I could actively participate, but this is the 2nd time that we've lost power when a deployment has been scheduled. Kinda annoying!

I've had fun planting new flowers in the last few weeks, and am loving our dwarf lilac tree. It's huge and needs a massive haircut after it finishes blooming this year!


Next week starts Ava's new summer program at a local middle school. I'm so excited for all of the fun activities she's going to be doing! This week, they're going to a regional park, volunteering by packing food, and taking their swimming tests, plus a few days onsite. It'll be so good for her to be with older kids during the day, and doing new and fun outings. The kids are getting older and while it's fun to see how they change, it's also hard to let them go. We're trying to enjoy every minute while we can!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh