Skip to main content

Hello, Summer Schedule!

It was the first week of a full summer schedule, and I think half of the kids in our house had some fun? Ava seemed to enjoy her days at the middle school program, especially the day they packed food at Feed My Starving Children. She had never participated in something like that before, and was really intrigued, and wants to go back as a family. Once G turns six, we can do that!

Ava also took her YMCA summer swimming test and is in the highest level, so she can go wherever she wants, at whatever pools they go to this summer. I love watching her swim...she seems to really enjoy it, and loves being in the water. This past Thursday, Scott had to work on a side job after he was done working his main job, so after the kids and I ate dinner, I took them to our neighborhood pool. G is getting more brave and likes to put his head under water, and is very interested in learning to swim. Two of Ava's friends came to the pool that night, so they had fun playing and splashing around, while I kept my eye on G. Ava tried to give him a piggyback ride in the water, and all was going well until he freaked out a little bit, and ended up pulling her backwards into the water. That resulted in a lot of coughing and spluttering, and I then said "no more" to the piggy back rides in the pool. They both seemed to like it, up until that point...

Earlier on Thursday, my team at work had a full-afternoon picnic. Instead of sitting in meetings and working, we were outside, enjoying the beautiful summer weather, eating, playing bean bags, basketball, volleyball, and watching the fish and turtles in the lake right by my company.

Do you see that patch of grass on the other side? That's the lawn that leads up to my building. We've got a great view from our facility!


Scott needed to run up north to pick up 1200lbs (yep, that's right...1200lbs) of beef (there were several families he was picking it up for) so he took G with him on Saturday for the trip. That means that Ava and I had a lovely and productive day at home where she was able to work on her summer Cahoots program and I was able to clean the house and get laundry done. I even had a chance to sit down and relax for 45 minutes in the afternoon. I think that means that as the kids get older, and more self-sufficient, we'll be seeing more free time in our future!

Last night after dinner, Scott took G home with him, and Ava and I went on a little road trip. I had always wanted to see the Rock Island Swing Bridge, and for the nine years I lived in So St Paul, I never ventured down there. When we drove by it last night, I figured it was a great time for an adventure with Ava. We had fun checking it out, although she was skittish about walking out to the older edge, and she really didn't like the sound of the nearby refinery. So...we didn't get as far as I wanted to, but it was still a nice time with my girl.




After that, we hit up a few stores, and finally found a new swimsuit for her to wear for swimming in middle school. Turns out that she has a long torso, so we were having problems finding one that was long enough, but not super wide. We had a great time shopping, and didn't make it home until almost 9pm last night! I'm so glad to check that swimsuit off the list, since it'll be tricky to find swimsuits on the shelves in a few months.

We've bought all of the school supplies for both kids next year, and they are labeled and put away in storage for now. I'm feeling really good about having that task completed. The only thing left is to get a lunch box, backpack, and water bottle for G! I'm excited to take him shopping for that in a few months!

We've had a busy Father's Day so far...lots of errands, and a yummy breakfast (yes, Scott made it...he wanted to.) We're looking forward to having my parents over for dinner, and then to have Scott's mom and stepdad over for dessert, as well. It'll be a wonderful day to spend time with family, and to celebrate all of the special fathers in our lives. We wish Scott's dad, Bruce, was with us today, of course...at least we know he's with us in spirit.

Happy Father's Day to my dad, Scott, and Whitey! Thank you for everything that you do for your families, and the positive qualities that you have brought to your loved ones and friends. We love you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh