Skip to main content

We Love You, Lucky Dog

I skipped last week’s post as I needed some time to recover from a yucky weekend. We made the hard decision to say goodbye to our snuggly Lucky dog. We were letting her outside almost every hour during the day, and Scott was up with her every few hours at night. We came to the conclusion that she probably wasn’t going to get any better, and in fact, she would only get worse.

The days, hours, and minutes leading up to the moment were filled with such sadness and guilt. Most pet owners who have had to make this decision know exactly how we felt. We did speak with the vet beforehand, to confirm there wasn’t anything else that we could do, and she advised that as our pets get older, sometimes it’s better to let them go with their dignity, then force them to live to the point where they are not themselves anymore. 

We agreed with her, and after she had put a catheter in Lucky’s leg, she told us that based on Lucky’s breath, she believed that she had kidney disease, and we were truly making the right decision. Once she said that, it all fell into place...the multiple trips outside (+ accidents inside the house); eating so much food, yet losing weight; plus drinking a ton of water all of the time. The guilt eased a bit with that news. 

As Scott held Lucky’s body, and I cradled her head, whispering alternating “I love you” and “shhh” in her ears, the vet administered the fatal dose that stopped our sweet dog’s heart. We knew the moment she was gone, and then the vet let us be alone with her so we could say our final farewells. 

The whole morning was surreal, and we’ve been slowly adjusting to not having her in our lives. When we said goodbye to Spanky and Darla, there was always at least one dog waiting for us back at home. This time, there was no furry friend to greet us at the door. In the past week, I’ve gathered up all of her belongings. I will donate what I can to the local vet office/humane society, and the rest we will keep for the next fur baby who comes into our life. We’ve agreed to take a break, and let our hearts heal from this trauma.

This girl was MY dog. Eight months after we sold her as a puppy, we brought her back into our lives, rescuing her from a home that clearly did not love and respect her. When we saw her again at eight months old, she was cowering in a corner of a room, and wouldn’t come to anyone. After 30 minutes, she finally came to me, and snuggled into my side, shaking the entire time.

I am still so upset that she had six months of her life where she was not loved like she should have been. It altered her personality and made her incredibly needy, and naughty, until she finally calmed down in her senior years. I believe she even forgave Ava for being mean to her when Ava was a little girl. In the last year or so, Ava always wanted to walk and play with Lucky, so I’m so grateful that they were able to mend that gap. G was always nice to her, so she tolerated him much more, even as a baby.

Lucky was only 4 weeks old in this pic...so sweet



Always trying to say hello!


Same pose, just one year later!


Lucky, Spanky, and Darla - posing for the treat!




Lucky and Darla, always together


Lucky (laying down, Darla (sitting up), Spanky (standing on two legs) - love this so much!



My snuggly girl always loved being under a blanket


So close to actually being on her bed...



Lucky and Bill (the Roomba) became good friends


We knew her end was near, so we snuggled with Lucky as much as possible in the last few months


She loved being close to the fire


RIP, my sweet girl. You were loved so very much.


Lucky ~ 07.15.2004 - 01.12.2019

On a happier note, I reconnected with a college friend, and we spent some quality time together over the weekend. Plus, Ava was in her first band concert, and the fifth graders did a fantastic job. We were all so impressed with how good they sounded.

Being goofy before her concert....crazy hair!


During warm-up, we were able to sneak in and take some pics


 

Trumpet section solo!


Full band


This school district places equal weight on academics, arts, and athletics, which I think is wonderful. I hope Ava chooses to stay with music, as she’ll feed into a band that has received national recognition. I can’t wait to see where she goes with this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...