Skip to main content

Five Days Since...

This has been a rough week.  Busy, of course, with work, friends, and family...but there's been an underlying sadness.  I cried myself to sleep on Tuesday night.

On Wednesday morning, I had to explain to my 8-year old daughter why 60.3 million Americans voted for a man who displays behavior that we have been working tirelessly at preventing in our schools.  The look on her face was one of fear and sadness.

I had to explain that out of the four of us in our house, that her father may be the only one who is not negatively impacted, as he is a straight, white, Christian male.  Ava and I?  Well, we're females, and our reproductive rights might fly right out the window.  G?  He's too young to know where he is going to land with everything...all I know at this point is that he's a white male.

This week, I've done a lot of reading, discussing, and thinking.  I don't generally get so heavily invested in politics, but this decision was too big to just shrug my shoulders at and then move on.  I need to find a way to come to terms with this.  These next four years should prove to be interesting.  I think change will come, but I don't think it's going to be what 60.3 million Americans signed up for.

Other than that madness, I've had some good times with the kids this weekend.  Scott was gone for a 2nd weekend of deer hunting (he got a doe yesterday - nice job!) and Ava was with Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey for 24 hours, starting on Friday night.  That gave me and little G a  LOT of quality time together.  We caught up on a bunch of movies (Wreck It Ralph and both Planes movies), read some good books, and had a great time playing and cuddling together.  Ava got home last night, and our house went from being semi-quiet to being really, really loud.  I'm pretty sure she doesn't have an internal volume sensor.

This is from last weekend's Sunday breakfast at IHOP...good times!


My mom came over and helped me with a few things around the house/yard while G was napping yesterday, and this afternoon we're off to a really big craft fair in the west side of the cities.  Scott made it home safely a few minutes ago, so we're going to take the kids to the park so they can burn off some energy. It's a beautiful November day in Minnesota...it's almost 50 degrees, sunny, and gorgeous blue skies. Need to enjoy it before the cold and dark days set in...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...