Skip to main content

Avoiding Procrastination

Last Sunday, I knocked out a big part of the Christmas shopping for this season.  Feels good to get it done!  My mom and I went to the yuuuuuge Canterbury craft show, and enjoyed a fun mom-daughter afternoon.  I'm so glad my parents have moved here - I feel so fortunate that we have the chance to see them so frequently.  Had I never moved thousands of miles away from them after I graduated from high school, I don't think I'd have this profound appreciation for now having them close.  It just took 20+ years to get to this space!

We found this awesome toy bow & arrow set for G for Christmas...he will love it! (And so will Ava, and Scott, and me...!)


Intertwined with the good feelings of being productive (at home and at work), we had a little bit of a negative.  G has been fighting fevers for the last 2 months or so.  He'll have an elevated temp, and then it'll be gone within a few days...no other symptoms.  Finally, we decided that enough is enough...time to take him to the dr to do some additional testing.  They were all ready to perform blood tests and urine tests (although that would have required to have him pee into a bag, and frankly, I can't imagine how this would work with a 3-year old) and then the nurse felt his neck and opted for one last test.  He had strep!  He's been on meds for a few days now and is back to his normal happy/whiny attitude, thank goodness!  We're supposed to watch him closely after the strep is 100% gone, and track any fevers past that point.  I hope that's all it was, but I can't imagine he could have had strep for 2 months and we didn't know?!?  Here's to hoping that's all it was, and there isn't anything more serious lurking below the surface.

Hoping for a Vikes win today!


I'm happy to report that I will finally be taking some time off of work...I haven't had any time off since mid-August, and I desperately need a few days to myself around the house.  G and Ava have school/daycare Mon-Wed next week, so I should be able to get quite a few things done around here.  Love being able to check things off my to-do list!

Yesterday we tackled a few such projects...we finally built the Halloween (yes, I know, it's way overdue) cookie house.  I figured it's more about the experience, and not about the specific holiday.  And while I thought I would be more control-freaky about how the house ended up looking, I realized that as long as I (ok, Scott had to help) got the house assembled, I am perfectly fine with Ava going nuts and decorating it however she sees fit!  She had fun, and that's what matters.  And, now I know that I will probably never buy a kit like this again.  I saw one where the house already came assembled, and all that was to be done was the decorating...I think we can swing that one!

She's holding the ghost she decorated...


Since I don't have much extra time to spare, and I still want to be able to volunteer for Ava's school, I signed up for "at home volunteering projects" and I received my first one on Friday.  I get to cut out approximately 20 snowflakes for a class project.  Let's just say that I am smart enough to know that I can't procrastinate on this one, and am about 1/3 of the way through.  As long as I tackle it a little bit each day, I'll make the Dec 1 deadline. For real, I can't mess this up! :)


Should be a great Sunday to spend with the family, watching the game, and taking it easy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...