Skip to main content

Keepin' It Cool: Italian Ice and Margaritas

Hot! It was insanely hot this week. Like melt the minute you step outside, stick to the car seat, instant sweat in your eyes HOT. But, hey, it's not snowing, so I won't complain.

Ava thought it would be easier to beat the heat by losing a few more teeth...numbers 6 and 7 popped out about a week ago. She has one more wiggly tooth in the front, but now I can pack apples in her lunch again! As usual, the generous Tooth Fairy left her a golden dollar for #6, but after some sassy comments she heard from Ava, she decided a quarter was in order for #7. Ava then decided that perhaps she is grateful for the gold coins, after all...



Grandma Karen and I tackled the task of taking G to get his haircut. Usually it's non-stop screaming and crying...but this time, it was different. There was a hint of tears, but he actually giggled when the lady used the big, fluffy brush to wipe off the hair. Grandma Karen talked non-stop the entire time, trying to distract him, and it worked!  We celebrated afterward by stopping to get Italian ice...so good! We'll definitely have to stop back with the full family to get more.


My work decided to beat the heat with a bean bag toss tourney, a food truck, margaritas and beer. I found a shady spot under some trees, and totally enjoyed my few hours of laid back time.


Also in the midst of a hot week, there was an impromptu gathering at a neighbor's house...we went over there with the intention of staying for a little bit, and came home FOUR hours later! The kids had a blast checking out Pete's State Trooper car...






I also had Friday afternoon off, so after a quick lunch at a nearby park, I came home and headed to our pool. It was the first time I had been there without kids, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading, and being able to cool off, when needed.

Last night, Scott and I headed out on a date (thanks Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug for holding down the fort while we were out!) We enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then took advantage of the kid-free time to check out the new Hy-Vee, and even get our weekly grocery shopping done. We then stopped at a new-to-us bar to enjoy a few drinks. Not super exciting, but it was the perfect way to spend a night out!

Today Ava, Scott and I are heading out to see The Little Mermaid at a local high school theater. Poor little G doesn't get to do anything yet.  At least he gets to be cute!


 But now, I need to make some cinnamon rolls, so we can get the day going on a sweet note!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...