Skip to main content

I'll Take Terrible Twos Anyday...

I have no pics this week.  Partly because we, once again, were too busy to have a lot of fun.  Also partly because Ava's been a real handful, and had there been any pictures, they would have been of me getting angry, Scott losing patience, and Ava bossing everyone around. 

I don't know what happened to my sweet little girl. This intruder who has taken over my child's body is demanding, bossy, sassy, and downright mean at times.  More than once this week, I've heard, "Get away, Mommy.  I don't like you.  I only want Daddy."  I can only imagine what she will be like when we hit the teen years!

One tiny, fun little story from this week - we did manage to make it to the playground one night after dinner.  It was packed with kids - running around like they hadn't been outside in FOREVER!  Oh wait - this is Minnesota...it HAS been months since they could play at the park! 

Ava quickly made a little friend, and they had a grand time running around.  At one point, we heard the other little girl introduce herself to Ava.  Peyton (the little girl) then asked Ava what her name was.  Ava's response?  "My name is Jessica."  At which point, both Scott and I gave each other a weird look.  Jessica?  Ava doesn't know anyone named Jessica. 

5 minutes later, we saw the little girl running after Ava yelling, "Jessica, Jessica!"  And then a random little boy ran by, pointed at Ava, and told us "That's Jessica!"  I tried to correct the misconception, but, it was all in vain. 

Later that night, I asked Ava if her name was Jessica.  She gave me the oddest "you crazy" look, and said, "No, my name is Ava!"  I asked again a few nights later, and still got the same response - so I thought Jessica was gone. Until the other night, Ava pointed at me, and told me that I was Jessica.

The only possible explanation is that they play with dolls at daycare, and sometimes Savannah (a little girl who goes to daycare with Ava), names her little baby, Jessica.

The rest of the stories I have from this week are not fun.  Or cute.  They often end with tears, and an increase in blood pressure. 

Here's to hoping for a better week - with the weather, and the attitudes!

Comments

Lisa said…
Oh... we've had days like that too. I try to remind myself it's just a phase and this too shall pass. And it usually does. I know that with the whole potty training thing we've had issues with D acting out. Maybe that could be it? I do believe there was a full moon this week too... :) Hang in there, Mom and I hope this "phase" passes quickly. It's no fun for anyone.
Jean said…
Sounds like you are talking about a day in our house. Sooooo not fun. We HAVE to get together when I am in town and share stories over some wine ;-)
Katie said…
We are having more troublesome days than not lately. It's so hard to not lose my temper, and I usually end up doing it. But then 10 minutes later she's her sweet self. Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...