Skip to main content

Adventures at the Museum

Last week we purchased an annual membership to the Children's Museum in St. Paul. We had been there once before, and realized it was a great place to bring Ava - any time of the year.  We were only there for a few hours on Sunday, and we still had several exhibits to visit.  I like the idea of the membership, so we don't have to squeeze everything into one visit!

The current rotating exhibit is a Legos display - set in medieval times!  There was an area where you could joust, sit on thrones, peer into a spooky dungeon, and even get your picture taken with a dragon!  We also built a little pink (of course) Lego castle!  There was a big box of dress-up clothes, and while I know Ava would have loved to wear the purple princess cape, I also know we would have had one heck of a time getting it off of her.  Sometimes, avoidance is the easiest route!

I told Scott that this year, I want to do MORE with Ava.  I don't want to just go to the park.  Or just play with her sandbox in the back yard.  It's important to me that she gets out, sees lots of other kids, and learns about things, while having fun.  The Children's Museum is an excellent place to start.  We also have a few upcoming play dates to the zoos in the area, which I think we're all excited for!

I'm going to sign her up for a Tiny Tots tumbling class which starts in June - since I never mastered a perfect cartwheel, I'm hoping that she can learn that skill at an early age!

We're on our way to "see him"!  (Ava speak for "museum"...)


Those are some BIG Legos!


A pink castle!  And she found the one flower piece to put on it.




What is that thing?


Considering how scared she is of ants, she had no problem going into their display!


Back to the castle's dungeon...this thing would light up and make scary noises when you'd lift the key.


Helping move blocks



And a few non-museum pics from the last few weeks:

We came to check on her one night, and found her covered by all of her friends!


Playing with her toy baskets...silly kid!





 
Hiding under her blanket


Everyone should wear heels with polka-dot pjs!



Comments

Jean said…
So fun! We love doing local activities too. Children's museum, zoo, aquarium, puppetry center of arts, etc. It's fun to see the excitement in the kid's eyes when we do new and different activities. And annual passes are definitely the way to go!! If you stay for 20 minutes due to melting children it doesn't matter ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...