Skip to main content

MN State Fair 2024

Last Sunday, G and I ventured into St Paul, and did a little exploring. We drove through part of the St Kate's campus, went to Cecil's Deli for some sweet desserts, checked out the Ford Dam (I cannot believe how much Highland Park has changed since I lived there 25+ years ago), and then finally made our way into Minneapolis to Minnehaha Falls Park. It had been a really long time since I had been to Minnehaha, and every time that G went recently with the Y, either they didn't make it out to the Falls, or, we were in a drought, so there was no falling water. But this weekend was perfect! It was really rushing, and it was so neat to see it. In all of my time while at college, I never realized that they were such a short drive from campus. I'm glad we took the time to see them!

Cecil's!


Ford Dam



At the top of the falls








The rest of the week was a blur with work, work, work, and activities. On Thursday, we headed out to the opening day of the MN State Fair, mostly to see the RHSMB march. They are generally the first band in the parade on the first day (I think because they are state champions), but the rain started about 30 min before the parade was supposed to begin, and then it rained for an hour. The parade was cancelled, but we tried to make the best of it. My parents, Scott, G, and I ate and drank our way around the fair, did some shopping, and generally enjoyed being outside. It wasn't too crowded, and the rain really kept things cooler on the first day. I'm sure the kids were A-OK not marching...more time for them to spend at the fair, as well!





Very happy to run into these two while walking around


Yummy drinks!






Finally heading back home (I think I napped for a bit on the bus...)


It was weird taking a Thursday off, and then having to go back to work on Friday. Luckily, my work is encouraging Focus Fridays, which means no meetings on Fridays. I was able to catch up from being out on Thursday, and left things in a good place to pick up on Monday morning. 

As a bonus, G and I went out with some book club friends on Tuesday night, I went out for dinner with a friend on Wednesday night, and then on Thursday night (after we got back from the fair), G and I met up with some of the book club, and while the kids played outside, the adults watched the DNC together. We now have plans to watch the debates, as well as the election results. It's fun to have friends in the neighborhood to do these kinds of things with. A few of us are also taking a cooking lesson together (eggrolls and samosas), and a fall painting class at the local winery. Fun stuff to look forward to!

We took it easy on Friday (well, Ava worked 8am-6pm, had dinner with us, and then went to an end-of-summer party with some friends from a different high school.) I love that she has branched out and has friends in neighboring towns! G, Scott, and I stayed at home and took it easy. This busy week wiped us out.

Our neighbors are doing an end-of-summer pizza party tonight, so we're going to head over there to wrap up the last weekend of the summer. I can't believe that the older kids head back to school on Wednesday! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh

Happily Ever After?

Lately, I've been adding to the Disney Princess movies in our collection.  Last week I bought Beauty and the Beast for Ava.  That was never a favorite movie of mine, but now that I've seen it several times in the last week, it's growing on me.  I figure this is a good chance for me to catch up on some of the stories that I missed out on! Watching all of these princess movies has me thinking about fairy tales...why is it that it's always the evil stepMOTHER?  Or the mom is dead, and no one has taken her place?  Very rarely is it the father who is evil, or dead.  This has actually come up as a topic in more than one conversation lately, and has me a bit intrigued.  Fairy tales are often not very happy - and usually someone dies at some point.  I was a giving an overview of Snow White to a friend of mine, and as I was going through the story, both of us were horrified at the message - mom dies, evil stepmother wants to murder her pretty stepdaughter, and when she doesn

What's Black & White?

It's officially summer in Minnesota.  We've passed the 1-2 weeks where it's pleasant outside, and have moved into the hot and humid midwestern summer season.  This calls for some FUN in the SUN!  We were hoping that Ava would enjoy the water a little more this year than she did last year (I took her to several weeks of swimming lessons in a lap pool, where the temp of the water was just a wee bit too chilly.  It didn't go well for either of us.)  Plus, she has a new swimming suit I was anxious to have her try out, so at the very least, I knew she would look cute. :) So, Daddy decided to set up the sprinkler for her one night after dinner.  This, too, did not go very well.  Perhaps it's because he sprung the sprinkler on her without warning, causing her to run to me, with fear in her eyes, and very wet hands...  After that, we never got her to come near the sprinkler (way to go, Daddy), and she decided to play with my potted flowers...with her very wet hands.  This