Skip to main content

Financial Introduction

I am so proud of our little G! Friday is generally when the majority of the week's assignments/tests come home in his take-home folder. Imagine my surprise this weekend when I pulled out several assignments/tests with perfect scores! He's doing so well in school and is working really hard at keeping his high emotions in check. I know it's so hard for him, and he slips up, but he tries to calm down quickly and apologize after an outburst. 


Ava had a concert band concert on Monday night, and also participated in the 9th grade area-wide band festival at a high school across the cities on Wednesday. They stopped at the MoA for lunch/shopping on the way home. Seems like a pretty grand way to spend a day in the middle of a winter week!

Not sure this is a comfy position to watch a movie, but...ok!



Last night, I chose a non-funny, serious movie for Ava and me to watch. G was off watching YouTube (but asked a question of me this morning that let me know he was paying a little attention to what we saw.) Scott was snoozing on the couch, but I know he wholeheartedly agrees with what we were watching. 

After joining a FB group on "paying for college", I've become disgusted by the price of higher education. Ava has commented that she wants to leave the country for post-high school education, because she doesn't want to pay for it (that obviously comes with its own challenges, as well as expenses.) But, after we watched "Borrowed Future" on Prime on Friday night, she stated that she absolutely does not want to have student loans. We talked a bit about local tech schools, as well as community colleges in the area. She mentioned that maybe she would stay living at home while in school, and is interested in commissioning art pieces for extra cash. Ava has a good head on her shoulders, and knows she doesn't want to go into life with a large amount of debt. We talked about scholarships, taking high school classes for college credit, and using the Achieving Dreams option to earn money for school-related expenses. 

I know it seems early to talk about this, as she doesn't know what she wants to do, but I think it's wise to set expectations now. I don't think I realized how lucky I was to walk away from a private college without any student loans (THANK YOU, Mom and Dad!!!) And Scott went the vo-tech route and estimates he paid about $15k for his school (he has no student loan debt, either.) 

Not a fun Friday night, but my heart (and shoulders) feel a bit lighter knowing that Ava sees how serious this is. We'll be using the next few years to prep as best we can, to give her the best sendoff possible!

We opted not to celebrate St Patrick's Day with any green beer, but are looking forward to a delayed corned beef and colcannon potato dinner on Sunday night. YUM! 🍀 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...