Skip to main content

This Too Shall Pass

"Change is hard." "Change is inevitable." "The only constant thing in life is change." It’s no wonder that people, in general, are resistant to change. Why move away from something where you’re comfortable, even though you may not be happy?

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” ~ Anaïs Nin

The above quote is one that I heard years ago, and is always floating around in my mind. It’s my gage for determining when something needs to change, and then coupled with sheer chance, or hard work, but mostly both, I generally see a change occur in my life.

This week, I took a step forward to move in a different direction for my career. I gave my notice at the company where I have worked for twenty years. It was terrifying and sad and exciting, all at once. I have always had a good relationship with my manager, and she was surprised (I think) by my announcement, but has been incredibly supportive of my decision. I’m leaving my coworkers in a tricky situation, and for that, I feel horrible. But, this too shall pass, and things will get better once the team is fully staffed again. 

My last day is November 27...so I have just five business days left at the “home” where I spend 40+ hours a week. I’m excited to move onto my adventure...more details to come as the day draws near!


Anyway. I guess there were a few other things that happened this week! Yesterday, Ava had her first performance with the Performance Team for her baton/dance studio. I attended the event and neither of us knew what to expect. This was definitely not a recital, but more of a competition, where multiple girls were performing in different lanes at the same time. There were only four teams performing, so her actual time on the floor was very short. But she did great! She’s later confessed that she was terrified. It didn’t show, though!

She’s also improving with her trumpet skills. It no longer sounds like a dying bird when she plays...there is actual tone and music coming from that horn! I know she doesn’t always like to practice, but we’re trying to teach her that practice really does make perfect.

G had a mostly good week...a few bouts of tantrums, but overall, he was a happy little boy. He’s starting to spell words randomly, and is beginning to read signs, the back of the cereal box, etc. It’s super exciting to watch how brain is processing the incoming information. 

G and I went to a neighbor’s house on Friday night, and he had a blast playing with his friend Addie, while I had a blast catching up with my friend Kristin over a bottle of wine! A group of neighborhood gals (and me) decided recently that we need to make a better effort to get together each month, especially when it’s cold outside. It’s easier to meet up when it’s warm and we can be out by a bonfire, but it’s during the dark, chaotic, winter months that we need to make sure our friendships remain solid. I’m excited for this as I want my neighborhood to be filled with friends!

Scott finally picked up the cold that Ava, G, and I have been battling for a few weeks now, so he and Ava took it easy on Friday night and spent the time at home, watching a movie. I’m finally on the mend and am not coughing as much, so I am getting decent sleep again. It's amazing what wonders will occur with healing when the body is allowed to get some much needed rest!

Last night we had a blast making individual pizzas, and then I cried bucket loads of tears while watching the movie “Wonder”. Ava had seen it before, and had told me how good it was...G didn’t have a lot of interest in it, but kept track of the tears sliding down my cheeks throughout the movie. I thought it was great!

On a final note for the weekly wrap-up...my mom and I went to a HUGE craft show last weekend, and I made a great dent in my Christmas’s shopping. Plus, I got the last pieces I needed to set up the hot chocolate bar for the kids. I’m super excited to get that rolling so the kids can enjoy some sweet warm treats this winter!

It’s only 7 degrees right now...wow! Eventually I’ll need to peel myself out of my warm bed, but now Ava and G have joined me so it’s going to be difficult to leave! Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh