Skip to main content

Slobby Joes

It’s snowing! The curtains are open as I’m snuggled into my warm bed, typing this post. A flurry caught my eye, and I stopped what I was doing to enjoy the first flakes of the year. It’s a hard time of year with the impending cold temps...getting ready for the chaos of the holidays, confirming that all kids are prepared with new winter wear, and dealing with illnesses that rear their ugly heads once school is back in session. But, we still try to make time for fun!

We enjoyed a dinner out at a local pizzeria/bar with face painting...love that G's sock monkey matches his shirt!



I took the kids to the city library one night...it was empty, which means they had free reign of the toy area!




I took last week off of blog posting, as I had little energy to spare. That led into a very busy workweek, where I had far too much to do in a short amount of time, plus, my sleeping patterns were off. Added into the mixed was the fact that Ava picked up a cold, so there was constant concern over her well being. Put all of those together, and I can tell you the exact time that I realized on Friday night that I was also sick. Ugh. I don’t remember the last time I had a cold. Hopefully I’ll kick it soon!

Last Saturday, Scott and I went out for a belated anniversary dinner at a local supper club. After we enjoyed our delish dinner, we did some shopping for the kids at the premium outlets, and then made it to a hometown bar for VINGO (video bingo!) It was so great to be out with Scott and no kids (thanks to Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug for watching the kiddos!)

Scott found this cute hat while shopping for Ava - ha!



Ava’s been busy with baton twirling, full band rehearsals, trumpet lessons, and schoolwork. G has been busy being 90% good, and 10% naughty. Very naughty. He’s such a defiant little boy...we don’t always know what to do with the situations he throws our way. I’ve been enjoying seeing him write, spell words, and read signs. It’s amazing to see him shaping up to be ready to enter Kindergarten next year!

Last night we had a Celebration of Life event for Scott’s Uncle Tom, who passed away in July. There was a great turnout, and we’d had the chance to catch up with people who we haven’t seen in years. Plus, there was a silent auction, and we came home with a few items. Yay! Sloppy Joes, aka Slobby Joes, per G, were served and they were quite tasty!

This is a neat bottle top catcher that we'll put in the garage


This autumn sign warms our entryway!


Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey are in town for the event, and they are going to take Ava and G for several hours this afternoon to help them burn off some energy. Scott and I are looking forward to having a few more hours together where we can sit and chat, without our littles demanding all of our attention!

The snow has increased a little bit, and it's beginning to stick...makes me want to burrow deeper into my warm bed, so I can sleep off this cold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

Preparing for Vacation

We had a low key week, which is rare in this house. Oh sure, there were fun field trips at Summer Power, a visit to the splash pad on a hot day, and a few crazy, rain storms, but it was an easy week. Well, there was that one time when we were out for dinner with G (Ava was with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug for an overnight stay and a trip to the Dakota County Fair - fun!) and G decided to hide behind my chair and puke all over me and the floor (at the restaurant.) Ugh. The good news is that he was just too full of chocolate milk...no illness! A quiet week, once in a while, is an okay thing! We're starting to prep for our vacation to the Wisconsin Dells...we don't take too many family vacations, so this is a big event for us. (Funny, I took a break from writing this post as Scott just asked me about planning a trip to Disney...we were debating the differences between going to California vs. Florida...pros and cons to each!) Yesterday, I showed G a video from one of the wat...