Skip to main content

Sickness, Sunshine, and Snakes

Well, Ava and I are still sick. I think we're both getting better, but it's very slow going. Ava still has a cough, and I am still congested. I had a bit of a scare earlier this week...with the move into the autumn season, the air is drying up. Add that to the constant nose blowing to clear out the gunk, and it's prime time for nosebleeds. And if you're prone to them, like I am, it's a thousand times worse. I had a horrible nosebleed on my way home from work on Monday...it bled for 20 minutes and I wasn't sure it was going to stop. I sat in a parking lot until it subsided, as I couldn't drive. Later that evening, after everyone else was in bed, I had at least additional five nosebleeds.

I've dealt with this my entire life, but this was the first time that I was concerned. I was feeling a bit light headed at the end of the night, and ended up sleeping upright. I purchased a "schnozzle" like the kids have (saline mister for the nose) and that has been helping the situation. That, and simply learning to live with a stuffy nose (I don't blow it as much.) I will definitely be getting my flu shot once I'm healthy enough to do so. This past week of being sick with a simple cold really knocked me out, I can't imagine what having the flu would do to me/us.

On a more positive note, the sunshine came back this week! We had dark, dreary, drizzly weather over the last few weeks, and then this bright thing popped out in the sky. The skies are blue, the leaves are lovely shades of red, yellows, and oranges, and the animals are trying to soak in the last few days of warmth. Once I had my energy back, I went on a short walk over lunch one day, and got a kick out of the snakes who were sunning themselves on the path.



Ava's school completed their fall fundraiser this past week. Usually, they sell stuff out of a catalog and we have to beg people to buy things. But, this year, the PTO made a change based on feedback, and we did a pledge-based fun run. It was SO easy to manage, and our school gets to keep a higher percentage of the earnings than ever before! I am so proud of Ava...she ran 35 laps, and met her goal of raising $300! Her little brother stepped in to top off the last $20 to get her over the edge...wasn't that nice of him? She had lots of questions about how he got online to pledge...haha!

Tuesday night fun at Carbone's...she got a lovely, sparkly unicorn! 

G didn't get a painting because he was naughty that day.


G had a pretty good week? Maybe? I think he only got into trouble once, which is better than every single day...right? We started off the week with celebrating his birthday a few weeks early with Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey. They took both kids on Sunday afternoon and went to Chuck E Cheese to burn off some energy, and then we all had yummy Paw Patrol cupcakes and opened the gifts together at the house.

Scott and I took advantage of that free time and went to a local bar...we had some drinks and watched the first half of the Vikings game. Then Scott brought me home to rest, and he continued with his afternoon out. The two hours of couch time that I got while everyone was out of the house was amazing, and helped me regain some of the lost energy.


Grandma Deb was very organized in the gift opening...they were all numbered and had to be opened in order! I love it!


He got a super cute dino outfit...it's on the docket to wear tomorrow to daycare!


I love this picture of Ava...it is SO her!


One of the gifts was a kit with a hammer/screwdriver/goggle/apron...and a toy vehicle to build, made out of wood, nails, and screws! Should be a great gift to work on together!



On Wednesday night, we attempted to go to the pumpkin show at the Zoo (over 5,000 hand-carved pumpkins on a trail) but we showed up on one of their busiest nights, so it wasn't feasible. Thank you, MEA! After calming down G from his fit because there wasn't room for us to attend that evening, we went home and I promptly bought tickets for us to attend the pumpkin gala this coming Wednesday. Can't wait...it looks amazing!

Scott has been up north this weekend, and we've hunkered down in the house. We've watched movies, ate popcorn, and spent a very nice weekend together. Scott and I have both found that if there is only one parent around, the kids are better behaved (not sure why...maybe because they can't play us off of  each other?) In any case, we're excited to have our master chef come home this morning. We eat fairly simple and light when he's not around, so I think we're all a bit hungry right now. Haha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh