Skip to main content

Three Santas

'Tis the season to visit with our favorite jolly man in red!  We've had a busy weekend with holiday festivities, and with the snow fall from last night, it finally seems like winter is here (I was just saying yesterday how odd it was to have no snow on the ground in early December.  Not that I'm complaining...I don't want it to stick around until May!)

Friday night we met up with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug and visited with Santa (#1.)  Ava asked for a trampoline and G asked for a puppy (a real one, not a stuffed one.)  The answer to both of those requests is NO and NO.  I know, I'm no fun.  I'm sure Santa will come up with some other fun things that they'll both like, though.




After we were done with the Santa chat, we headed out to a family dinner and had a good chance to sit down and catch up for a bit.  I think we've officially moved out of the high chair/booster phase...G is sitting on regular chairs at restaurants now (he sits on his knees.)  EXCEPT, when he tried to get off of the chair he was crying that his legs weren't there...I think he experienced his legs falling asleep!!

Saturday morning, we packed up and went to the community center and had breakfast with Santa (#2.)  We mostly focused on the breakfast, coloring, crafts, and games, and didn't really chat with Santa.  And that's ok - it was great family time!

This doesn't even look like G with his funny little expression


Hard at work coloring - both pics are hanging on the fridge now!


This was G's craft...I might have helped him a little bit...!


Saturday night, we decided to do an early dinner and stumbled upon a new restaurant that had just opened up in Farmington.  It was a great atmosphere, good food and service, and they had an amazing patio with fun fire features.  We will definitely head back there to try other items on the menu! 

My chair faced this wall of bottles...it was so pretty!


We don't often make it to Farmington (it's south of where we live) but we had wanted to check out the Dakota City village since it was all decked out for the holidays.  Ava has been there a few times already, and it was time that the rest of us walked through there.  It was a gorgeous night to do a tour of the historical village...we visited so many different types of stores...carpentry, blacksmith, printing shop, general store, library, etc.  We were also able to take a trolley ride, pulled by two beautiful horses.  The weather was perfect to be outside...it wasn't windy or wet, and even though it was chilly, it wasn't unbearable.

A nativity scene outside the little church 


The little church - it's tiny!


They were not a fan of the bright flash on the trolley ride...


The naughty kids went to the jail!


There was an outdoor seating area with the tree...I thought it was so pretty


Did I mention that we saw Santa (#3) at the depot?  G asked me if we were going to talk to Santa again, and when I said no, neither kid was too put out.  So, I think we've filled our Santa quota for this year!

Santa has been a big topic this weekend - on Friday, Ava asked me if Santa was real. I told her that the moment she stops believing in him, he ceases to exist.  She looked a little panicked and said that she does still believe in him, but was curious as to what happens if you stop believing in him and then start believing again.  I simply repeated what I had already said.  It was a tough topic to face.  But, she's decided that Santa #1 is definitely the real Santa because his beard is real.  I agree, he does appear to be the real Santa!

On a non-Santa note, we were informed last week that one of Ava's art pieces was selected to be on display at the city library for the month of December.  Awesome!  We're going to the "Artist's Reception" this afternoon - I can't wait!  Out of the blue, she told me she doesn't want to take gymnastics (we had been talking about it for the last year) and when I asked if there was any other sport she wanted to do, she said, "No, I'm not a sports person."  And, she's right.  So, I asked her if she'd like to take an art class, and she lit up!  She also said she'd like to take a cooking class, and she's in luck, as I had already scheduled a cooking class for her and me in January.  Actually, it's a cooking and painting class, so it should be a blast!

I need to work on assembling our Christmas cards today, and then determining what Christmas cookies we're going to make this year.  I've finally figured out that I need to keep things simple...no more than 2 or 3 different things.  That might be a good philosophy to apply towards many things in life...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...