Skip to main content

Cookies and Compassion

We've had a family-filled fun weekend, so far.  On Friday night, I had dinner with my little family and then spent several hours with Scott's cousin and his wife.  Initially I was there to make some essential oil sprays, and then I ended up staying until past midnight...we were catching up on family things, and chatting about life, in general.  It was a great way to spend a Friday evening!

Me, Nick and Melissa


Yesterday was a baking day!  My mom came over for a big chunk of time yesterday and we did some holiday treat-making.  Ava and Mom cut out, baked and decorated the traditional sugar cookies. I spearheaded the fudge-making (although, something was different this year, as the fudge didn't turn out like it has the last several years...I'm still not sure what caused the difference...it's a mystery.)  And it took all three of us to make the sticky holiday wreaths.  All around a fun time!  G was running around during most of it, pretending to be a race car, and he only really became interested once the cookie decorating began.





Today Ava and I are headed out to watch the Nutcracker ballet...the last time we went, it was a snowy mess, and it looks like it'll be the same today!  If she behaves well (which, of course she will) I'm going to surprise her with a Caribou hot chocolate on the way home...she loves that!

With all of the excitement yesterday, G didn't take a nap.  He was a bit ornery and crabby as a result.  After dinner, he wanted to get down from his chair, and I told him he needed to wait a little bit so I could finish rinsing off some dishes.  Out of nowhere, he said, "I hate you."  Both Ava and I had the same reaction, but she actually voiced hers.  She told G that was a very mean thing to say and that he needed to apologize.  And then she proceeded to give me lots of hugs and insisted on sitting next to me during our family movie night last night.  I had to remind myself that he's only three, but hearing him say that really, really hurt.  I was proud of Ava for responding as she did, since she could see how much it hurt me. 

Those aren't words that we use in our house, so Scott was asking him this morning where he heard that phrase...we think it must be at daycare.  G clearly knew that what he said was wrong as he apologized later last night, and told me that he didn't hate me at all.  And then he said, "We don't talk like that."  So, he knows, but OUCH.  All because I wouldn't stop what I was doing to clean him up... 

We'll take this as a learning opportunity and make sure he understands that his words hurt.  It's interesting, as we never went through this with Ava, and we never really struggled with her repeating naughty words.  G is the opposite, and he DOES repeat words back.  Two very different kids...
 
Last Sunday we went to the city library for the "Artist's Reception"...one of Ava's paintings was chosen to be on display for the month of December.  I LOVE this picture and will definitely have it framed when we get it back home!


Santa sent each kid their very own letters for Christmas...fun!


This girl loves to read...



Happy snowy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...