Skip to main content

For the Love of Books

We've been raising quite the reader over the last several years. I have always loved to read, and it pleases me to see how much Ava enjoys spending time with her nose in books. She has a daily reading log for school, and the last few months, she has exceeded the number of minutes that have been set for her goal.  Awesome!

G also loves to have books read to him, and while we started off with two books a night, he's now insisting on me reading a gajillion books each night.  Some nights I have the time to read more, and other nights I don't.  Imagine how happy I was last week when Ava told me that SHE would read to G before bed! Of course, she first asked if the minutes would count towards her reading log...smart girl. It was awesome to settle them both into the glider, and extract myself so I could run to the grocery store for a few minutes. And because it was a novel (haha) experience for both of them, they were both happy to read 10+ books in one sitting.



I'm not going to take advantage of this too often, but it's so good to know that I have a backup reader on my hands (no, Scott doesn't enjoy reading, but will do it if he's the last option.) Last night, I cut G off at four books, which he wasn't thrilled with, but then I rocked him to sleep, so he still got some great mommy time before bed.  Love that boy so much!!

Ava and Grandma Karen had a blast making Christmas cookies yesterday. I mostly just supervised -yeah, right - and waited for my turn to make fudge.  It was a sweet, sweet afternoon at the Goers' house!




I can't believe Christmas is next week! All I have left to do is wrap a few remaining presents, and we will have done everything on the 2015 Christmas list! I know it's not as fun to work off of a list for the holidays, but in this house, that's how things get done...we've had the opposite come true in years past, and it's not a jolly experience!

Time to start the day with some coffee and fudge cutting. Yum!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...