Skip to main content

The Sweetest Words

We've all heard of the Terrible Twos, right? I remember thinking with Ava that two wasn't so bad...it was when she turned three that it all went downhill. Those threenager years were tough with her! Gradually, she grew out of it, and has become a mostly sweet and smart, yet sassy, young lady. And while her ears appear to be broken at times, she still does as we ask, and very rarely disobeys.

Things are different with G.  He has fully embraced the life of a treacherous toddler. Oh, he hears what we say, and then he gives a mischievous grin, and looks you in the eye as he does it anyway. His favorite word these days is "no" followed by whatever verb/noun he doesn't want anything to do with. Sometimes there's an emphatic swat that accompanies it, and every once in a great while, he still tries to take a chunk of skin with his sharp little teeth (for the record, there have been no biting incidents at daycare...I think it must have been that one little girl who he was targeting last summer, and that was it.)  He knows immediately that his swatting/biting is very, very naughty, as it's at that precise moment he ceases to make eye contact.

So, it's all a boundaries thing with him...what can I do to get away with being naughty?  Will the benefit of the action outweigh the punishment?  I think he also plays to Scott and I differently.  Personally, I don't think G listens to Scott as well as he does to me...there appears to be more contention between the two of them than between G and me (the reverse is true with Ava and us.). And at the end of the day, G really just wants to be with me.  (Ava was this way with Scott, so don't feel like he's been shortchanged or anything!  He's had five more years of being the favorite parent.)

Last week, as we were sharing those sweet moments reading and snuggling before bedtime, I told G that I love him. "I love you, Momma" was the response (ok, fine, it was garbled, but this momma knew exactly what he was saying!) and he's been saying it every night since, accompanied by a big hug.  This warms my heart beyond belief. And it's what makes those terrible twos bearable. We've only got 11 more months until he hits three...let's see how bad it's going to get!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...