Skip to main content

Pest Control

Our fun times came to a screeching halt this week when we realized that Ava picked up lice from somewhere.  This was our first experience with it, but obviously, we had both heard how tough it was to deal with them in the aftermath.

And it's all true.  I've spent hours this week, treating and combing through Ava's hair, examining her hair strands, looking for any last little nits that I can find.  I have done a gajillion loads of laundry, all in hot-hot-hot water, so we can sleep peacefully knowing that we don't have any louse of the loose.  I have learned SO much about lice this week, and my fingers are crossed that we have eradicated them.  It doesn't appear that Scott, G, or I have had any little visitors, but we'll keep watching ourselves closely the next few weeks.  The good news is that I now know exactly what to look for, and can nip it in the nit, right away!

One of my coworkers mentioned that tea tree oil is a natural deterrent, so I've purchased some and will be adding it to everyone's shampoo, to help ward off those little buggers. 

On the positive side, I had a great week at work - very productive, with two site walkthroughs going really well.  Ava had her fall conferences this past Wednesday, and she's doing great at school.  She's above average when it comes to math, excels at reading, but could work on her handwriting.  Now we know what to focus on at home!  A few of my standard questions are, "Does she play well with other kids?  Does she have friends?"  Her teacher confirmed that yes, she's always off and running around, playing with her classmates, and in fact, she's very, very kind to a girl in her class who needs that extra encouragement.  As Mrs P. said, "Ava's a real hunny."  And that warms my heart!

Counting her Halloween loot - I think she got well over 100 pieces of candy!


Hunting season is upon us, so I was flying solo as the only parent this weekend.  Grandma Deb helped us out by picking up and keeping Ava overnight on Friday, so I had some really great quality time with little G.  He's doing so well at daycare...he's learning, he's putting words together in sentences, he's dancing all around, and his throw is getting to be pretty decent.  His latest obsession is anything with a football on it - pictures, clothing, pjs, whatever.  If we could somehow get Mickey Mouse with a football, his mind would be blown.  We've got one more year before we can sign him up for any type of sport, but guaranteed, we're going to get that kid out there (and if he doesn't like it, that's ok!) 

Yesterday morning, we checked out the craft show at the high school.  It's fairly large, and I was able to start knocking a few things off the Christmas list.  The only bummer was near the end when we had stopped to look at a booth, and Ava backed up into it, and a ton of their crafts (wooden signs, decor) fell on top of G's head, while he was in his stroller.  He ended up with a cut over his hear, and a decent size bump, but luckily, no crafts were broken.  I was so shaken up, though, and have been keeping a close eye on G...he seems to be okay, but ugh.  I also used this as a learning lesson with Ava...we tell her constantly that she needs to watch where she walks, and maybe, just maybe, this will help it sink in as to why she needs to be aware of her surroundings.  And, I did end up buying some decor from that booth, so there's one positive that came out of it!

This weekend has been a bit more low key than the last few, and I'm super thankful for the downtime.  It appears the holidays are upon us, so I need to start focusing my energy on that, and making sure I don't procrastinate when it comes to everything holiday-related!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...