Skip to main content

Similar, yet Different

I've learned everything I know about siblings from watching our two kids interact with each other over the last two years.  As an only child, I never had firsthand exposure to sibling relationships, and what they entailed.  This has been a unique learning experience for me, and I can only assume that it will continue to evolve and grow over time.  Ava is an amazing big sister, very rarely getting jealous, and always willing to lend a hand with G when asked.  Garrett is an observant little brother, and often mimics what Ava is doing...whether it's her crazy dance moves, or her funny sayings (hilarious to listen to in a toddler boy voice!)  They are so much alike, yet...so different.

I hope these two continue to have a good relationship, well into adulthood!

 
Yesterday, we drove down to Cannon Falls to meet up with my parents, and my great-aunt Doris.  Doris and her friend came into town (from Kansas) to visit for the weekend, so although the visit was short, it was good to have a chance to catch up.  Doris hadn't seen Ava since Ava was little, and she had never met G, so I'm glad that we've been able to bridge that gap.  Our little family of four had lunch, and then walked by the river for a bit...there was a wedding at the Cannon River Vineyard.  G was super outgoing and waved to all of the groomsmen and was yelling "hi!" at everyone who walked by.











We stopped at the trout pond and fed the ducks and swans.  Madness ensued as the food went flying!




We stopped into the Cannon River Winery (home of my very favorite red wine: GoGo Red- YUM!) and Doris, Mom and I did some wine tasting.  Ava kept us entertained while the guys went across the street to have some beer.  Once they came back, G had a blast dancing to the live music...he put on a good show for the people in the winery...and then he got tired.  And then we ALL got tired. :) 



So, back home we went, where we got in some good napping time, before pizza at our house with Mom and Dad.  It was a great low-key evening, after a very fun afternoon with family.  Scott and I even made it 50% of the way through a movie after everyone was in bed...at least we know better than to pay for movies since we often don't finish them!

Last week, there was an amazing sunset...I saw several people on the side of the road taking pictures - it was that pretty.  I'm bummed that this didn't capture the colors well, but it took my breath away.


Today should be fun...I'm going to check out a new country/antique decor store in town, and am hoping that Mom can accompany me.  Ava and I noticed the store a few weeks ago after dropping G off at daycare, and it looks like there could be some cute home decor inside.  Plus, they offer DIY nights, so I'm interested in seeing what the next project is!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...