Skip to main content

All About the Girl

Ava and I have had quite a bit of quality together time this week.  Baton twirling, extra hours at home on Wednesday morning (no daycare, unexpectedly), all day on Friday and Saturday, and then out both Friday and Saturday nights together.  She continues to impress me, and drive me crazy, all at the same time!

On Friday morning, I was recalling how Ava covered up G's ears when the smoke alarm went off for the first time this past fall.  I will never forget coming down the stairs, and catching sight of her, hunched over his swing, her little hands covering his tiny ears.  And she did it all without prompting - she was just worried that it was too loud for him and would scare him.  I reminded her of this, and let her know how special she is, and what a very good big sister she is to Garrett.  I told her we are very lucky to have her in our family, and that we love her so very much.  She looked at me, leaned over to give me a big hug and told me how much she loves me, and that she's so happy that I'm her momma.  It was incredibly sweet, and made my entire morning.  I've filed that away so I can reference it during one of her many exasperating times!

We were supposed to go to the zoo on Friday morning, but it rained a ton, so instead we went to Target.  Wheeee!  Almost the same, right?!  A trip down the toy aisle and a stop at the food court made for a fun adventure!  That night, she and I met up with my friend Emilie, and joined some of her family for pedis/baby shower.  Overall, she did pretty well - and then was rewarded with a trip to McDonalds, where the toy Gods were smiling down at her, and she managed to get two toys in her Happy Meal.  Lucky girl!  It was a late night, though, as we didn't get home until around 11pm.  And she slept hard, which was a good thing because...

...on Saturday, she had a birthday party at a trampoline park.  Lots and lots of jumping for hours, and there weren't any broken bones.  Hooray!  After that, you'd think she would have been a tired little girl, right?  Oh no, she managed to rally enough energy to then spend several hours last night at the neighbors (different neighbors than last week) for a bonfire and s'mores.  All of the kids had so much fun with the s'mores and then playing restaurant...lettuce soup was the special of the evening.  Bleh!  But, it was another late night - we probably got her to bed around 10:30 or so.  I was there much, much later...it was a great night to sit outside by the fire.  Clear skies, and no breeze...just awesome after the downpours earlier in the day!

I just need to keep reminding myself that she's only 6, and I think I have really high expectations for her.  Sometimes, I need to relax a little and just let her be a kid.  The last several days with her have reminded me what a great little person she is!  Love that girl with all my heart!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...