Skip to main content

Advice to Our Children

It's been...an interesting week.  Full of work, activities, school, daycare, etc...all good, and very busy, of course.  So, I wanted to take a bit of a different angle this week, and gather some words of advice for our two children...

To Ava: I hope that you grow to be a strong woman (since you're such a strong-willed girl, I don't think it's a far stretch that you will be a woman of strength.)  I pray that you stay true to your beliefs, and never let anyone mistreat you, or devalue your worth.  No matter who you may befriend, fall in love with, or work for, always be true to yourself.  Never be ashamed to make a change if you realize that you aren't being treated as you should.  I believe that if someone isn't giving you the respect that you deserve, you will have the strength to put your foot down, draw a line, or make a decision.  Respect yourself enough to remove those people who don't hold that same level of respect for you.  You are one of a kind, and worth more than you will ever know.

To Garrett: I hope that you grow to be a loyal and hard-working man, just like your father.  Your dad would do anything, for anyone...and I pray that you inherit that same sense of selflessness.  I want you to learn to treat every person you meet with respect, kindness, and an open mind.  Be especially kind to women and children, and never use your strength (physical, mental, or emotional) against them.  A true man is able to see when someone is hurting, and instead of causing any additional pain, will do what he can to help them.  Everyone is fighting some kind of battle, and can benefit from a strong person by their side.

To both: if anyone treats you as an option, do not make them a priority.  Life is simply too short to spend it with those who don't value you for the amazing people you are!

And yes, everything is perfectly fine!  Scott and Ava went up north for the weekend, so I've had some great one-on-one time with G this weekend.  I held him for several hours yesterday, soaking in all that adorable baby-ness, and innocence...and then once he went to bed, I treated myself to the Snow White and The Huntsman movie.  Looks like even when Ava isn't here, I still need a bit of a Disney princess fix.  Although, this movie was anything but light and fluffy!  But, kinda what I needed to see...this princess was strong and brave, just how I want my Ava to grow up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...