Skip to main content

Things on the Wall

We had Ava's spring conferences this past Wednesday...academically, she's doing wonderfully!  She's right where she should be, and reading at a higher level than average.  Almost every night she brings home a little book to read to Scott and me, and I often wonder if she has just memorized it, or if she's actually reading it.  Turns out, she's really reading it!  Her teacher told us we could test her by having her read the book backwards to us, so I did....and she did great! Her teacher also let us know that Ava picked out the Pledge of Allegiance sign that's hanging on their classroom wall.  She noticed that when they recite it, it ends with "for all"...and she saw that at the end of the sign, so she figured out that's what they were saying.  Such a smartie!  Turns out she's also a leader, which isn't a surprise to us...she's very social, not shy, and smart.  I think we have a dangerous combo on our hands...  The only problem is how much she talks.  Yeah, we're totally aware of that issue!!!

They didn't have school last Thursday and Friday (or tomorrow) so on Thursday, Ava went roller skating with the Kids Choice group.  I think she had fun as now she wants us to buy her roller skates!  Tomorrow they're going to pack meals for people who are less fortunate, and also make blankets (I think...)  I'm just happy that things are going well for her - although she challenges us daily, in the end, I think it'll be good that we have such a smart little kid on our hands!

Garrett had his four month check-up this week (12.68lbs, 25" - long and skinny!)  He's also doing well, but he ended up getting a low-grade fever from one of his vaccines.  Our provider was nice enough to let him stay the entire day, as she knew it was because he had his shots.  We're very thankful that people can be reasonable about those kinds of things!

I fed him rice cereal on Saturday morning and it went much better than when I tried a few weeks ago.  This time he acknowledged there was something different in his mouth, and he made an effort to smoosh it around and swallow it.  He pooped it all out within 5 minutes, but at least we're getting him used to the new texture. :)  And it was nice having him up at the table with us while we ate breakfast!

We FINALLY made the time to get some things hung up on the walls, get one of our TVs mounted, Garrett's video monitor up, etc.  Scott was teasing me about buying things to decorate the bathroom, so I told him it's my responsibility to bring the beauty into the house, while he can worry about the function.  And you know what?  He did a great job measuring/hanging everything so it looks nice!  We've got a long ways to go to get this house completely unpacked/decorated, but at least we're taking baby steps to get there.

Ava was having fun playing her princess piano for G.  Not sure he was so thrilled.


Hmm...interesting cereal...


What a great pic - thanks, Ava! ;)  (I'm tired.)


Helping Mommy make Grandma Goers' banana bread - so good!


Tonight, we're going to try some food from a new place in town...the House of Curry.  My friend, Emilie, is going to come over and we're going to get dinner to-go.  Looking forward to it - I've been craving curry/spicy food for a while, and I've heard this place is tasty.  Yum!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...