Skip to main content

Well, That Didn't Take Long

Ava runs warm.  When she was teething as a baby, it wasn't unexpected for her to run a temp of 103.  She has a cold?  It might shoot up to 105.  Besides getting the common cold/virus, she's only truly been sick once, with tonsillitis.  Not bad for a 4 year old.  What's my point, you ask?  A fever is one sure fire way for her to be sent home from daycare/preschool - it's just how her body fights being sick.  At least once a month, we're picking her up during the day.  She is sick for a few hours, her fever breaks, and she's back to being healthy.  It's weird. 

ANYWAY!  Guess what happened this past week?  That's right...the ol' fever came, so she was out on Wednesday and Thursday, and she went back to pre-k on Friday.  But I got "the call" by 10am on Friday, so I had to leave work to pick her up.  I'm actually pretty sad for her, as the pre-k kids were going to walk to DQ for a special treat that afternoon, and she had to miss that little adventure.

The really good news is that I gave her some ibuprofen on Friday, her fever spiked, and she's all better!  No fever since Friday, so this weekend has been fun!  And she gets to go back to pre-k and play with her new friends tomorrow. :)  Side note: she IS making friends!  On the school's FB page, there's a pic of her sitting in a covered chair with kids playing all around her.  I asked her what she was doing, and she told me she was playing hide-and-seek.  I asked if anyone was actually looking for her, and she said no.  So...she was really just hiding...  This spiked a bit of a fear in me that she wasn't making friends - hard to believe with how outgoing she is.  To ease my fears, I asked her teacher if she was playing well with others, and she is!  Lots of little friends that she interacts well with.  Now, we just need to work on learning to share the toys nicely...

We had a nice lay-around kind of day on Friday afternoon...lots of Tinkerbell, naps (for Ava), and some quiet playtime.  And because she was feeling way better, we were able to keep our plans on celebrating an early anniversary dinner last night in Stillwater.  Ava had a great day/evening with Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey (fever-free!)  And Scott and I had a fantastic dinner walking around Stillwater...he was a good sport and let me stick my head into a few shops which clearly held no appeal to him.  On the flip side, he enjoys walking through antique stores, and there are certainly plenty of those in that area.  The only antiques that I truly enjoy looking at are kids books - and maybe a Barbie collection if they have one. :)

We had lovely meal at the Dock Cafe, located right on the St. Croix river.  It was a gorgeous day/night, so we decided it was worth the wait to eat outside.  After dinner, we took a walk by the river, and decided that we need to buy a boat.  Something for Scott to fish on, something for me to be able to lay out on, and something for Ava to be able to jump out of/tube behind.  We have an idea of what we'd like to get so we'll see what happens!





Now, everyone is back home, and we're going to have another fun day!  Well, maybe not in Ava's eyes but I know Scott and I are looking forward to it.  We're going to check out some of the houses in the Parade of Homes, and then spend some time outside cleaning up the garden/flowers.  Time to take out the summer flowers, and get some mums planted!

Our pumpkin/squash patch did GREAT last year - it produced 4-6 beautiful pumpkins.  But this year, we think a squirrel or a rabbit got into it and ended up killing many of the plants. We were able to harvest a few squash, and a BIG pumpkin!  We are hoping it'll stay good until Halloween so we can carve it.  I guess we'll see!

 
Taking it easy this morning...
 
 
 
Next time I post, it'll be with my "new eyes"!  I'm scared, but I'm sure everything will go as expected.  So, I'm also excited!  And we've got another busy week ahead of us, so the surgery will be here before we know it.  Think happy eye-thoughts for me on Friday morning!

Comments

Lisa said…
Hope all goes well on Friday! I'm still too chicken to look into that... you'll have to fill me in on how it goes.

School = Sickness. :( Dylan brought home a cold to share with the family last week. At least it seems to be a quick one.

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

Preparing for Vacation

We had a low key week, which is rare in this house. Oh sure, there were fun field trips at Summer Power, a visit to the splash pad on a hot day, and a few crazy, rain storms, but it was an easy week. Well, there was that one time when we were out for dinner with G (Ava was with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug for an overnight stay and a trip to the Dakota County Fair - fun!) and G decided to hide behind my chair and puke all over me and the floor (at the restaurant.) Ugh. The good news is that he was just too full of chocolate milk...no illness! A quiet week, once in a while, is an okay thing! We're starting to prep for our vacation to the Wisconsin Dells...we don't take too many family vacations, so this is a big event for us. (Funny, I took a break from writing this post as Scott just asked me about planning a trip to Disney...we were debating the differences between going to California vs. Florida...pros and cons to each!) Yesterday, I showed G a video from one of the wat...