Skip to main content

Autumn has Arrived!

When I think about everything we did this past week, I get tired....really, really tired. And then I realize that there was an official change of seasons, and I'm actually happy that it's going to start getting darker earlier - maybe that means we'll all get more sleep!

So, what did we do?  Well, let me tell you!
  • Tuesday: My fabulous Aunt Stephanie from NYC was in town for business, so the three of us picked her up and went out to a dinner at Lucky 13.  Ava wholeheartedly approves of Steph, and is anxiously awaiting for her trip to Manhattan when she's just a wee bit older!
  • Wednesday: Scott, Ava and I headed over to my bff's house, and had a very nice dinner/evening with Angie, Chad (boyfriend), and Brady (Chad's son.)  Ava and Brady hit it off quite well - they had a great time making their pizza together!
  • Thursday: Ava had quite the morning, where she puked all over the bathroom at 5:30a.m.  Surprise!  Guess who didn't go to pre-school!  Seriously, one of these days she'll be there all 5 days of the week.  I stayed home with her in the morning, and then Ava spent the afternoon with Great-Grandma Adeline...and didn't get sick again.  So, it was a super quick bug (thank God!), and the rest of the night was calm.
  • Friday: No big deal, just had my eyeballs meet up with a laser. :)  I was totally terrified and wanted to run away like 500 times before it started, but guess I got the courage from somewhere and managed to stay put long enough for them to cut open my eye, fry and reshape the cornea, and seal me back up. Honestly, the 4 hours following the procedure were the worst part, and unfortunately, the sedative didn't knock me out enough, so I only slept through about 2 of those hours.  But by early evening, things were much better.  And most importantly, I can see!  Second great moment of the day?  Ava invited herself to spend the night at Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey's...so Scott and I went out for dinner, hit up a bonfire at a cousin's house, and then went to the bar and played four rounds of 501.  We each won 2 rounds.  It was really fun...and weird to be out on a Friday night!
  • Saturday: I had my follow-up appointment for my eyes...the left eye isn't as clear as the right eye, but together, I'm seeing 20/15, which is pretty fantastic.  Since the eyes are still healing, final results won't be apparent for a month or so.  It's been weird not having to take out contacts at the end of the day...and my eyes haven't been this white in a long time!  Even with glasses, they would get irritated and red.  A busy day followed...and then we had my good friend Emilie over for dinner.  Scott makes a mean chicken on the smoker!!  After dinner, Em and I went out to a bar, right on the Mississippi river.  Two nights out in a row - amazing!!!
  • Sunday (today!): Scott made us an excellent breakfast of French toast (I am a lucky girl), and then we headed out to the Afton Apple Orchard.  We picked apples, pumpkins, raspberries...road the hayride, fed the animals, and had a very yummy lunch.  Someone (Ava) got to sleep when we got home, but the rest of us had to go grocery shopping, laundry, plant mums, vacuum the car, etc...needless to say, another busy, but GORGEOUS, fall afternoon. We're going to have squash from our garden, and a smoked turkey breast tonight for dinner...everything smells so good right now... 
Poor kid just wanted to nap on Thursday...looks like Darla had the same idea!

 
Making Great-Grandma Lorraine's banana bread recipe on Saturday afternoon - yum!

 
On the hayride at the apple orchard


 
Contrary to the facial expression, she DID enjoy this apple!

 
As did Scott!


 
Picking raspberries


 
Not so impressed with the "cowch"

 
Our little ear of corn was a little too short

 
So we tried again...I follow directions well! That would be the back of Ava's head you see there...


 
Dino sighting at the orchard!

 
Those llamas are CRAZY!  They wouldn't leave us alone, and reminded me why I don't like animals that can look me directly in the eye when I'm standing.

 
Goats are always a favorite with us!

 
Enjoying the playground at the orchard



 
School bus shot!


 
And on the drive home, she told me to leave her alone.  Looks like social time was over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

Preparing for Vacation

We had a low key week, which is rare in this house. Oh sure, there were fun field trips at Summer Power, a visit to the splash pad on a hot day, and a few crazy, rain storms, but it was an easy week. Well, there was that one time when we were out for dinner with G (Ava was with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug for an overnight stay and a trip to the Dakota County Fair - fun!) and G decided to hide behind my chair and puke all over me and the floor (at the restaurant.) Ugh. The good news is that he was just too full of chocolate milk...no illness! A quiet week, once in a while, is an okay thing! We're starting to prep for our vacation to the Wisconsin Dells...we don't take too many family vacations, so this is a big event for us. (Funny, I took a break from writing this post as Scott just asked me about planning a trip to Disney...we were debating the differences between going to California vs. Florida...pros and cons to each!) Yesterday, I showed G a video from one of the wat...