Skip to main content

A Weekend Away...

I didn't realize how much time we dedicate to Ava until we have some time away from her. This past weekend, Scott and I stayed at a B&B in Osceola, WI, right on the St Croix River. It was great not being woken up by hungry dogs, or a chatty child, but...we both missed her a ton. We know she's in excellent hands with Grandma Deb and Grandpa Whitey, and we also know that it's important to take a break once in a while. But, I have to say, when she walked through the door today, in her cheery yellow shirt, with her sunglasses on, and the sassy ponytail swinging, I was awfully happy to see her, hug her, and squeeze her!

We did have a great time this weekend, and it gave both of us the chance to catch up on much-needed sleep. On Friday night, we went to a local bar, Tippy Canoe's, and enjoyed some live music with our dinner, as well as a few rounds of thumb wars...beer might have influenced the skill level at that point! I made friends with a server while in the bathroom, and she gave me a shot on the house! It featured UV Vodka's Cake vodka (YUM!), pineapple juice, cream, and grenadine...and tasted like, you guessed it, a pinapple-upside down cake! One other thing I realized - 20-something girls are *really* annoying. Especially loud ones.

On Saturday, we took our time getting up, enjoyed breakfast on our deck and attempted to walk along the St Croix River. And then a storm like you wouldn't believe came along, so off to the movies we went! We saw Friends with Benefits, which was pretty funny! After the movie, we made a second attempt at walking by the river, and succeeded...and on our way through town, we decided to go on a boat ride down the St Croix. It was the perfect way to end the afternoon, and completely exhausted us for any future evening excursions. That afternoon sun was HOT!

We stopped at a local pizza joint, had some dinner, and then took it easy back at the hotel. Another incredible storm rolled in that night, so we watched the lightning and listened to the thunder - and were very happy to be inside!

We came home this morning, and of course there are a million things to do - but that's ok! It was nice to have some time to shut down and forget about the everyday things.  It's SO important to take time off to enjoy the little things in life!

The view from our deck



"It's coming...!"  Down by the river when the storm rolled in...


Random art on rocks


Walking down by the river


I was quite intrigued by this bug - not sure if it was two bugs stuck together, or one long one...odd!


Waiting to board the Taylors Falls Queen





Rock climbers!


We passed the Taylors Falls Princess on our way downstream



The view from the bed last night - I could get used to that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...