Skip to main content

The Joys of Summer

One of the great things about the hot MN summer is how well our plants grow.  We had a cold spring this year, so our garden went in a little late this year, but the past week has seen it take off!  This year we planted 3 different types of tomatoes, several different kinds of peppers, sugar snap peas, onions, and brussel sprouts.  Along the side of the house was the perfect spot for pumpkin and squash - they can vine as much as they want, and it won't take out any of the other plants!

Scott really takes care of the vegetable garden, while the flowers are more for me.  Every year I try a few different kinds of plants - some work, and some don't!  Petunias, geraniums, and pansies are my standard...begonias and daisies were new additions this year.  Still not quite sure what to do with the begonias - the hanging basket that I have is not looking so pretty right now!

The garden is pretty well fenced off so no dogs, children, or wives can get into it, but my flowers are available to all to enjoy.  Ava's started picking off the flowers to wear behind her ear.  If she's not happy with the one she choose, she'll choose another...and then another.  The other night, we had a whole bouquet of flowers in our hands! 



It seems that a number of my friends are growing mint this year, so mojitos seem to be the drink of choice this summer.  Last weekend was River Falls Days (in WI), so I went to my friend Lisa's house for a mojito party!  She makes an excellent mojito!  In the past, there would have been pictures of us having fun - but this year...just a picture of their son, Jake...eating strawberries, with one lone Cheerio on his cheek.  (We still had fun, even tho there aren't pics to prove it!)


Yesterday was very hot and sticky...so what better way to be even MORE hot and sticky than having s'mores for dessert!  There are now square, flat marshmallows which are PERFECT for making s'mores!  Ava certainly enjoyed hers!  I love how she's eating it so neatly (ha ha) in this first picture.  Needless to say, she got nice and messy!



After she went to bed, Scott and I stayed up and enjoyed the fire.  There are a lot of fireflies this year, which always adds a bit of magic to a warm summer evening.

I think we're going to go to the pool today for a bit - it's supposed to be hot and miserable today.  No better way to cool off than to splash around!

Comments

I could almost small the flowers and I could certainly taste the s'mores! Sounds like you're having an ideal summer and Ava makes it lots of fun!

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...