Skip to main content

Happy Fourth!

Happy Birthday, America!  We celebrated by heading up north to spend the weekend with Scott's best friend, Dan; Dan's wife, Sara; and their son, Hunter (he is exactly 10 weeks older than Ava, and a super easy-going kid...Ava was a handful in comparison!)  They had a camper set up for us, so we even had our own space to use - always a good thing when dealing with a toddler (who may or may not have napped enough!)

We drove up on Saturday midday, and when we got there, we found everyone in the backyard, playing in the pool, the sandbox, and on the play equipment.  It was HOT and muggy, so we tried to stay in the shade as much as possible.

I love the trees that you see on the side of the road in northern Minnesota...so different than what we have in the cities.



Notice that there aren't any children playing in the sand box...


Oh, there's one!


Ava's first deer stand experience - Scott is bound and determined that she will be a hunter!


Hangin' with Hunter in the pool...


After dinner, we decided to spend some time indoors.  The kids had fun playing with Play-Doh...and I tried not to freak out too much when all of the colors got mixed together.



After the kids were in bed, we had some fun times with the bonfire.  And the bugs.  Even with the strongest bug spray possible, we still got attacked.  After an hour or two, I gave up and headed inside.


The next day we got up and hung out for a bit...Ava loved playing with all of Hunter's toys.  She was particularly fond of his play guitar.  I think this kid looks like a pro!




Dan inherited some land just outside of Cromwell, and Scott's been helping him clear the land everytime he's been up there.  This time, they needed to chop down some trees and also do some shooting practice while we were there. 

I'm taking a gun safety class starting this week, and Scott thought it would be wise if I had at least shot a gun once before I got there.  I shot a 22 that has been in our family for 60+ years...pretty cool!  And, I even almost hit the target a few times.  It was fun!

Scott's working on the tree here...




Safety first!  Ava loved Hunter's ear protection!


And then she got bored...so we hung out in the truck while the guys finished up.



Saturday night we went over to the lake to visit with more of Dan's family.  Unfortunately, Ava didn't take a nap, and was well on her way to a meltdown by 7pm, so we didn't stay too long.  That girl is NOT shy...she was making friends with everyone...makes it hard to keep up with her!

My first view of our land up north!  We bought into 80 acres with a few other couples last year...I was happy to finally see it for the first time!





It was a great weekend, but it was really nice to come home today.  Hope you celebrated with your own type of fun!

Comments

How fun!! So what is the plan with the 80+ acres? Is it going to just be used for hunting or will you eventually build a cabin up there? Is there a lake too? Happy 4th!

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

Preparing for Vacation

We had a low key week, which is rare in this house. Oh sure, there were fun field trips at Summer Power, a visit to the splash pad on a hot day, and a few crazy, rain storms, but it was an easy week. Well, there was that one time when we were out for dinner with G (Ava was with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug for an overnight stay and a trip to the Dakota County Fair - fun!) and G decided to hide behind my chair and puke all over me and the floor (at the restaurant.) Ugh. The good news is that he was just too full of chocolate milk...no illness! A quiet week, once in a while, is an okay thing! We're starting to prep for our vacation to the Wisconsin Dells...we don't take too many family vacations, so this is a big event for us. (Funny, I took a break from writing this post as Scott just asked me about planning a trip to Disney...we were debating the differences between going to California vs. Florida...pros and cons to each!) Yesterday, I showed G a video from one of the wat...