Skip to main content

Garden & Guns

I remember the first time I saw the Garden & Gun magazine when I was visiting Atlanta.  To a girl from the west, the concept of a magazine about gardens AND guns was completely foreign.  But clearly, it made an impression...enough so that I can now actually blog about gardens and guns!

First, our garden...it's amazing.  Our corn is close to 6' tall and has started to tassle.  We should be eating some fresh corn in just a few weeks.  Our two tomato plants have gone nuts, like usual.  I'm glad we've cut back on the number of tomato plants we grow - these two should produce enough for Scott to can at least one batch of his salsa this year.  And our peppers...we've already had several hot banana peppers in our meals, and we just had our first green pepper this morning with breakfast.  I am so impressed with how well our garden grows - and that credit all goes to Scott.  He does an amazing job watering, weeding, and harvesting it throughout the summer. 


And now for the guns...anyone who knows me knows that I love animals.  I don't hunt.  And I don't have any interest in picking that up as a hobby.  However, I married a hunter...and he loves guns.  As a result, we have many, many guns in our house (we do have a gun safe, so they're not just laying around.)  After many years of discussion, we decided it was time that I took a firearms safety training class taught by the DNR - just to be safe.  Last Thursday was my first class - I went into the class not knowing anything about guns...and now I'm interested in learning more.  I've got 12 more hours of training, and then a range day near the end of the month.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to getting out to the range and practicing.  And Dad, I think I'll stick with the .22 for now, and save the 12 gauge for a little later. :)

I suppose since this is a blog about Ava, I should mention her, too.  As usual, it was a busy week, but good-busy.  This morning we were eating breakfast with the peppers from the garden, and it was a little spicy.  Scott and I were discussing that perhaps he had put in too many peppers into the skillet.  Ava picked that time to look at us and say, "Hot!!"  I think that got my point across to Scott. :)

Ava's been dragging her little chairs around to every light switch she can reach - she loves turning things on and off.  Scott got us at the back door yesterday afternoon working on the kitchen switches.



Today's going to be a busy day - lots to do around the house, plus I have homework (?!) for my gun class tomorrow night and I need to finish reading a book that's due back to the library before the end of the day.  So, sorry for the short blog this week, but this mommy's got things to do!  Happy Sunday!

Comments

So after reading about how great your corn is doing and you are almost ready to eat it, I went and pulled ours out of our garden. Obviously ours has failed :-( It's only about knee high and while it did produce corn it was only about half a hand length long. It's gone now and I replaced with more cucumbers and tomatoes. You may have to ship me a few ears of yours :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Local Places

Last Sunday was the perfect day to explore an area that neither Arya nor I had been to before. We headed east to walk around the Vermillion Falls/River and Greenway area. The path was nicely paved, with lots of overhead shade from trees; there were so many families out on bikes and walking, and we had a nice view of the Vermillion River. Arya got some great pics, and I enjoyed spending time outdoors with my sweet girl. This weekend, G and I will be heading out to explore a creek area in a few towns just south of us. And I've already got an idea for another creek I want to walk by next month (it's a bit further away, and I'd rather put that aside until Arya is off at college) The tree leans to find the sun On the way home, we stopped at the DQ in another town (we have a love/hate relationship with the DQ in our town, so I wanted to avoid it.) The warm weather felt great, and we enjoyed some sweet treats while watching the world drive by. We're counting down the days unti...

What a Week

The weather has been unseasonably warm this fall, so we've been able to extend our outdoor projects just a bit.  This past week Scott's been working in the garden, cleaning everything out, and repairing the back wall of our garage.  Ava was such a good little helper, scooping up dirt, but still trying to keep her hands clean while doing it! I swear, a box is all she needs to make her happy. Princess Darla. Princess Darla has had enough.  I personally like how she and Ava have the same expressions in this picture. Apparently Spanky was bored - check out that yawn in the background! We went down to Grand Meadow this weekend, and as always, it was so fun to see Ava and Isabel play together.  They actually had several little conversations with each other - and they were so polite while doing so!  We even had them share a room last night...boy, that was a challenge.  I think they finally fell asleep around 10:00pm.  And of course, Ava wa...

All Done!

We made it! May was extra busy this year, leading up to Arya's graduation. And now that we are a week out from the chaos, I'm happy to report that we survived and are enjoying a slightly less busy pace in our days and nights. On Friday, May 29, 2026, 601 Rosemount High School seniors graduated, with the ceremony held at the University of St Thomas campus in St Paul, MN. It was a new venue for graduation this year, and it went really well. We were allowed six tickets in total, but were provided with a link for others to stream it on YouTube. We ended up parking at St. Kate's and shuttling over to St Thomas, so the parking situation was easy peasy for us. The ceremony was so well done, focusing on the triple A philosophy: academics, arts, and athletics. We are so proud of Arya, and can't wait to cheer her on in the next phase of her life! We did a pre-graduation photo shoot with a few friends from school Last day of high school! Red Pine is a special school in the distric...