Skip to main content

The Nutcracker and the Moon

Last Sunday I took Ava to see The Nutcracker at a nearby performing arts center.  This show was billed as having a bit of a Minnesota twist, which I thought sounded interesting, yet...I hoped they wouldn't stray too much from the original ballet.  Turns out that the story is the same, it's just the background settings that changed - and honestly, unless you read the playbill, you wouldn't have even known that it was set in Minnesota, as opposed to Germany (Austria? I'm not 100% sure where it is supposed to be!)

It was a lovely afternoon spent with Ava, where we both enjoyed the ballet...the dancing, the costumes, and the music (my favorite part!)  It reminded me of all of the times my parents took me to see it when I was a little girl.  I hope to continue that tradition with Ava.  Afterwards, as an additional treat, I took Ava to a Caribou and treated us both to some hot chocolate. She was pretty excited to discover what coffee shops were like, and also taste the sheer yumminess that is produced there!


She insisted on taking a selfie!


Enjoying her hot chocolate with a caramel shot



The holiday fun didn't stop there!  On Monday night, the whole family, including both sets of grandparents, watched G's daycare perform a variety of holiday songs at the local community center.  It was adorable, heartwarming, and filled with moments of utter chaos.  Props to the teachers who tried their very best to teach the kids (even the two-year-olds) a few traditional songs.  I'm certain it was a ton of work, and their efforts paid off.  (G is STILL randomly singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas"...)  The teachers clearly knew their kids limit, and made the wise decision to have them all onstage at once, and limited it to just a handful of songs.  The highlight of the show came when one little boy dropped his pants and mooned the crowd.  I didn't see it happen, but the crowd reacted...and then all control was lost.  The program quickly wrapped up, which was a good thing, because...Santa had come to visit all of the kids! 

See the kid in green in the front row?  Now, see the little face sticking out over his right shoulder?  That's G!


G and I waited in the Santa line, and we got to meet his girlfriend (who was right in front of us.) I'm pretty sure that G has no idea what a "girlfriend" is, but when asked if he had one, he didn't hesitate to say Ellie!  Also, I have no idea what G told Santa he wanted, but it was a nice ending to a very long day.  Ava and Grandma Karen came up to keep me company while waiting in line, which was a nice reprieve...G wasn't the only one who had a long day, and I was running on E trying to keep little G entertained for 20 minutes while waiting in line!


This captures reality...Ava is such a good, well-behaved kid.  G is a little bit more wild (but sweet, too!)

 

Long list for Santa! 
Side note: is that a dinosaur on the floor by Santa's right boot??


The rest of the week was full of work, errands, and wrapping Christmas presents in the morning (I really, really dislike wrapping presents, so last year I figured out that if I wrap 4-5 gifts each workday morning, while I still have energy and no one is up yet, it becomes an easier task to manage.  Right now I only have 5 left to wrap and it feels GREAT!)

Due to an incoming snowstorm, I worked from home on Friday afternoon...I was able to get so much work done, and even enjoyed watching the snow come down (instead of lamenting about how it would impact the evening commute.)  After the kids were in bed on Friday night, Scott and I rented a movie...we both managed to stay awake for the entire thing!  Amazing!

Yesterday it was snowy and cold, so we kept ourselves entertained inside. (Scott was busy clearing out several driveways, plus he was able to get his Christmas shopping done, too...and when I say "his" Christmas shopping, I mean the gifts for me. Since I do all of the shopping for ALL of the other gifts, I insist that he buy and wrap mine...I like to have a few surprises under the tree, too!) 

Ava and I worked on decorating a gingerbread house, but this time, it was a pre-built one.  It was a great kit, but Ava's interest level waned after 20 minutes or so.  I'm pretty sure that this would not win a realtor's showcase award for amazing homes.  But, it was time spent together, and that's what matters.



Last night we had a super early dinner and then watched "The Secret Life of Pets" as a family...we had taken Ava to see it this summer, but G was too little to go at that time.  He was pretty excited to see the animals doing all sorts of crazy things (plus he has a few stuffed animals from the movie, so he got to see them in live action!)  We were supposed to go to a Christmas party last night, but due to the snow and freezing temps, we opted to stay warm and at home. 

I just checked the temp and it's -18 right now.  BRRRRRR!  We're not going anywhere today, that's for sure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh