Skip to main content

Jazz and Desserts

RHS hosted a cool Jazz and Desserts concert on Monday night. It was very casual, taking place in the Student Center. Each of the 5 (6?) jazz bands performed three-ish songs, while we all browsed the multitude of desserts that were available. It was a really neat, casual format, where we could chat with the people around us, and still be able to enjoy the smooth sounds of jazz in the background. I ended up sitting with the family that we carpooled with for marching band over the last few years. It was nice having a chance to catch up!

I wasn't able to see Ava perform (she was tucked behind a pillar that I couldn't see around from my seat), but Jazz Blue (the band she is in) sounded good, and it was great seeing so many band parents again, since we've had a bit of a break since marching band season ended a few months back. I'm already looking forward to this event again next year!

There was also pep band, swimming, taekwondo, more jazz rehearsals, dentist, ortho, high school conferences, etc etc etc to squeeze into the last five days. It was busy! Both kids have great teeth, no cavities, and Ava got her retainers on Friday morning. They're fun...pink, glittery, and swirled with glow-in-the-dark patterns. Way more exciting than the one that I had in high school! 

I went to Ava's high school conferences on Friday morning, and all of her teachers were so complimentary. They mentioned how smart she is, focused, participates, (the art teacher said she was very talented!), and they all love the little drawings she does on the paper assignments that she turns in. We are so proud of the young adult that Ava is becoming, and can't wait to see what the next stages in life will bring!

I'm just one week away from a full transition off of my old job, and boy, this past week was a doozy! We've got some changes coming up, so we've been needed to be nimble at managing the upcoming work, and keeping the teams operating smoothly. I'm looking forward to being able to focus on my "new" job 100%, instead of having to split my time between two different ones. I'm also looking forward to (hopefully) taking a break from nighttime deployments.

Scott had a rough week at work, where nothing quite went right. Even this morning, as he was working on his side jobs, he told me he got fired (he's self-employed, so he fired himself, lol), so I'm hoping that the rest of the day went smoothly, and he can take a day to relax on Sunday.

To add on to the gloominess, the weather we're having is weird. It feels like March, not January. We've barely gotten any snow this winter, and while I don't mind the better driving conditions, I'm a bit sad that we haven't had enough to make a snowman, or a snowball, or anything worthwhile fun. I'm sure this comment will come back to bite me at some point, but for now, we're all wondering...where has winter gone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh