Skip to main content

Indeed, It was Merry!

It's hard to believe the holidays are coming to a close...and 2022 is almost upon us (I'm writing this on NYE, so...by the time you read this, it WILL be 2022!)

We celebrated Christmas Eve at my parents house. We snacked on goodies, slurped butterball soup, and shared a lovely dinner together. We enjoyed opening our gifts and once we got back home, we put together a slim plate for Santa and his reindeer (poor Santa has to eat a lot of cookies on December 24, so I'm mindful of how much food we leave out.) And then the kids headed off to bed!

I did my best to stay up and watch the candlelight Christmas Eve service...so beautiful, and I wish we could be there in person.

Butterball goodness...


G insisted we read "The Night Before Christmas"...so we read from my very old copy


Treats for the Santa man!


I love that G wrote a welcome note to him :)



We woke up at 2:45am because we heard a thump in the top level of the house. And no lie, my first thought was...Santa? But alas, it was a very excited G who couldn't sleep and decided to put together a new Lego set to pass the time. I advised him that we were all sleeping and couldn't help him. But, an hour later he got really frustrated, so Scott went in to help him get back to sleep, but ended up assisting him in the Lego build. 

Eventually it was a decent time in the morning, and we had to wait for Ava to get out of bed. But once she did, we opened up the stockings, and ate a yummy quiche breakfast. I had forgotten that we still needed to open all of the gifts under the tree, so as we were finishing up our meal, I assumed we had the rest of the day free to do whatever. Clearly, I was wrong.


Ava bought G a new squishy on her Black Friday adventures with Grandma Deb - he was so happy to get a gift like this from his big sister!




I didn't take pics of myself opening my stocking, so here is the end result...lots of goodies!


Action shot of Scott!



We received wonderful gifts, and appreciate everyone who sent something our way! Scott wrapped up the day with making us a fantastic prime rib dinner. Side note: Ava liked the potatoes the best - she's standing right next to me and giving her input on what we write in this blog...

Finally, Christmas Day is here, and all give candles are lit!



The rest of the week was a blur, but filled with really fun activities. We had a family Christmas call on Sunday, G finally got his hair cut, he took a Squishmallow drawing class (part 2 is coming up this Sunday), and he and I went to see the new Spiderman movie (loved it!)

Ava had her first party...five teenagers took over our basement on Tuesday night, and they were loud. Very loud. But, I think they all had fun, and that's what matters! Plus, Ava was able to see her friends over break, and I know that means a lot to her.

I checked off a TON of things on my to-do list, which is a great way to head into 2022! Scott worked most of the week, but he had both Fridays off, so we were able to spend some more time together as a family.



We gave G a new Lego City game for the Switch, and he's been playing it non-stop since Christmas!




NYE will be celebrated in the middle of a hayfield, with our very dear friends. Last year was the first time in many years that we didn't celebrate new years with them, so we're excited to get back together for some fun!

Ready to ring in the new year!


See ya later, 2021, and welcome, 2022!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggly Warm

It's the time of year to be cozy, so there's nothing better than sitting in front of a warm fire, reading a good book/watching a good show, and enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree. Even Pria thinks so! Pria was avoiding the vacuum earlier this week...she loves to be on Ava's bed! Getting cozy inside of a little fortress After a fairly busy week at school, work, and extracurricular activities, we all enjoyed a night at home on Friday. G and I built gingerbread houses (they both look a little sad, but we had fun), and then we all played Tractoropoly for a few hours. Turns out that G was stockpiling money, so we need to figure out his secret on how to save! Love Ava's face and hand placement here And we can't forget all of the treats that George brought this week! Sunday, December 10 "Can you get a bullseye?" Monday, December 11 "I'm brining Christmas Cheer, by singing loud for everyone to hear!" Tuesday, December 12 "Don't be the o

Barbie & George

We had a fun week to wrap up November. Last Saturday, Scott and I enjoyed a nice dinner out, and then a spontaneous trip to Home Depot...and we got some new exterior Christmas décor! But more important was the time spent together. Plus, it started to snow, so the view from the restaurant was beautiful (but the drive home was a little sketchy.) On Tuesday night, Ava and I headed out to the Mall of America to experience the Malibu Barbie Café. We had a blast exploring the area, eating the yummy food, and then shopping for a bit. It was a wonderful night evening spent together. Even the drinks were pretty! My Avocado Toast & salad Ava's Paradise Pancakes On Friday night, my book club gathered for our holiday party and it was a blast! We had such a good time chatting, eating, drinking, and finished off the night with a book exchange. I cherish and deeply appreciate the friendships that have developed with my neighbors because of this book club. And to really kick off the holiday se

26 Hours in a Day

Just yesterday morning, I was thinking to myself that I could really use a few more hours each day.  We don't sleep a whole lot, both work long hours at our jobs, try to play with Ava as much as we can at night and on the weekends, and then we have to do all of the adult-stuff...paying bills, grocery shopping, cleaning, work on side jobs, house projects, etc.  If there were only 26 hours in a day, we could: *Sleep just an extra 30 minutes - we need it since the dogs have been waking us up each weekend day at 5:30am.  What could be SO urgent that they need to get us up then?!?  You'd think we only feed them once a week, or something. *Spend an extra hour with Ava...we could go to the park every night, take an extra long bath, read a few extra stories, and just enjoy the giggles and chattiness. *Take 30 minutes to talk to each other about how things are going.  With Scott leaving for work each day before 5am, and then all of the craziness that ensues when I get home at nigh